Mexican Red Knee

Christelle

Arachnopeon
My Mexican Red Knee closed the entrance to his enclosure. It has been 5 weeks now and did not come out yet. I am really worried.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Usually when they do this they molted and take their time to come back up. I have had tiny slings refuse food for 2 months after a molt, nothing to worry about, give it time, it will reemerge when ready and when it does it will be hungry.

Depending on how large yours is it could take even longer.

A well fed subadult or adult could easily survive half a year or more without food.

Try not to disturb it if possible.

The more information you give us about your animal, the easier it is to help...

anyway thats it from me, maybe someone else will chime in further

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
There's a lot of other posts on the forum very similar to yours. They would be easy to find using the search bar. There's no need to worry, it's most likely in premolt and will be fine. That is normal tarantula behavior. On a sidenote, don't use common names, as they're too vague. For example by you saying Mexican Red Knee that could mean more than one species (Brachypelma hamorii, Brachypelma smithi are both called Mexican Red Knee but are completely different species)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My Mexican Red Knee closed the entrance to his enclosure. It has been 5 weeks now and did not come out yet. I am really worried.
Im more worried that you haven’t searched the forum for the answer.

normal behavior- I’ll let you research the rest

There's a lot of other posts on the forum very similar to yours. They would be easy to find using the search bar
no way?!! Are you serious??! People can find info if they look for it? Is that some kind of Calculus degree needed for this?!

Nice to see another voice of sanity and common sense here, keep it up! ;)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hiding and sealing themselves away is beyond normal behavior, they often do this before a molt. There is nothing to worry about if your husbandry was fine before and it continues to be. Keep water dish full regardless and enjoy your pet substrate until then.

It will come out, likely not before it is ready.

huntw09

Arachnopeon
Yea my current red knee always webs up her hid before she molts. She also has survived about 5 months refusing to eat (no matter how worried I got or how many times I would attempt to feed her). It is best just to leave them be and either wait for them to molt or decide that they want to eat again.