Mexican red knee

Westonadam

Arachnopeon
Hi

I bought a Mexican red knee for my wife six weeks ago, she has kept other tarantulas before, but not a red knee, the place I bought it from said it was just getting ready to molt, up to now nothing has happened , the abdomen has become quite bold, it has spun a web , not eaten in six weeks , sorry to keep saying it I was hoping to sex it after the molt, here are some pics. any help would be great we are using coco Fibre substrate, water is available 20210517_164558.jpg 20210517_164558.jpg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The abdomen is starting to darken up, will probably molt "soon". In this case "soon" could still be weeks away.

Can you share pictures of the whole enclosure? It looks like there's a lot of empty space that will let the Tarantula climb up and get injured from a fall.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I’m pretty certain it’s not perspective @moricollins and there is waaaay more than 1.5x DlS from substrate level to lid.
To the OP it looks a glass tank with only a little bit of substrate. You need to rehouse it like ASAP today, that is a extremely plump T, that if it falls and hits it’s abdomen could easily do fatal damage.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
That is one intensely fat T. Don't let it look like that after it molts. Yes pics of full enclosure, looks like a death trap. Immediate alterations required.

Edit: Please try to use scientific names on the forum so we can be certain what species it is to give the best advice - This is most likely a Brachypelma Hamorii

Westonadam

Arachnopeon
The abdomen is starting to darken up, will probably molt "soon". In this case "soon" could still be weeks away.

Can you share pictures of the whole enclosure? It looks like there's a lot of empty space that will let the Tarantula climb up and get injured from a fall.
Hi
Thanks for the reply , here are some pics, do you think it would be better to put the spider into the small tank until it has melted, was just worried the amount of time without eating 20210517_180142.jpg 20210517_180213.jpg thanks again

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Hi
Thanks for the reply , here are some pics, do you think it would be better to put the spider into the small tank until it has melted, was just worried the amount of time without eating View attachment 385166 View attachment 385167 thanks again
I wouldn't be concerned about the time spent not eating; they can go months and months, in some cases years without eating. Just make sure water is available.

I would be concerned about the very large distance between the floor and the top of the enclosure, if the T climbs up and falls that will be almost guaranteed fatal. Fill that tank up with substrate. As mentioned, no more than 1.5x the distance of the T's diagonal legspan from the floor to the top of enclosure.

On a side note i would say that enclosure is just way too large for the T, but the immediate problem is that fall distance. Rectify that ASAP

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
oh my god that T's BUTT XD

I have nothing to add, but the T will be more comfortable after it molts. You should see the abdomen go dark, like something's under the outer skin, when it's close to time to molt. It will probably also get shiny.

For now though it looks like a molt is some time away.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi

I bought a Mexican red knee for my wife six weeks ago, she has kept other tarantulas before, but not a red knee, the place I bought it from said it was just getting ready to molt, up to now nothing has happened , the abdomen has become quite bold, it has spun a web , not eaten in six weeks , sorry to keep saying it I was hoping to sex it after the molt, here are some pics. any help would be great we are using coco Fibre substrate, water is available View attachment 385164 View attachment 385163
What help do you need? The T does all the work and doesn’t tell us when it will happen exactly. You’re worried about nothing

Last edited: