Mexican red knee

Cheetah7

Arachnopeon
My Mexican red knee was on its back but got up and is now kinda on the wall but on the ground with its back legs is that normal I thought it was molting but it wasn’t she looked like she was doing some sort of web spinning this morning when I turned her light on but I’m 90% sure she molted a few days ago underground and I am nervous I didn’t put her in the best habitat when I got it’s from the pet store they didn’t seem to know anything about tarantulas and I’ve been going off of random things I’ve found on the internet

Last edited:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I think we need a picture of the whole enclosure to get an idea how you have them set up; T's rest in all kinds of fun positions and that's one of them.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Doesn’t look freshly molted, it’s probably spinning a molting mat for itself, give it time.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Does that help
Hard to say if it had molted or not as the picture is kind of vivid and it's also taken on the bottom position of the spider. Also judging by the picture of the legs, it appears to be another species and not a Mexican Red Knee or as what we would call a Brachypelma hamorii for the scientific name. If I had to guess on what you have, I'd say you actually have a Mexican Red Leg or as we call it in its scientific name: Brachypelma emilia. I highly suggest another picture of this spider and one taken on top of the spider and not from a ventral view of it. I hope this helps.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
There is no way to tell if it is going to molt or not, but one thing I can say for sure is:

The eclosure is way too large for it. Reduce it’s enclosure size much much much smaller than that. 1/10 of what you currently have, if not even smaller.

As for an example:

97025387-23E8-4082-8D5A-7FE1B158A1B2.jpeg

This size enclosure would be more than sufficient for your tarantula.

Last edited:

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
you need to ditch that sponge in its water bowl its not needed just keep it filled with fresh water also try to bury that bowl level with the sub so it doesnt need to climb up to drink

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I agree. That enclosure is enormous, it's going to be so much harder for the T to find food and water and for you to monitor what's going on. Lose that sponge, just a water dish buried Level.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
As stated, enclosure is huge. Horizontally it should ~4-5x the DLS (diag leg span). Vertically there should be 1.5-2x the DLS max between the sub and the "roof". If you use a cage with a screen lid they can get stuck - replace the screen with plexiglass

Cheetah7

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help guys she’s molting right now so I’ll put her in a smaller one soon

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Are you positive it’s a Mexican red knee?. What if it’s a Mexican flame leg. Or a Mexican orange knee.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Are you positive it’s a Mexican red knee?. What if it’s a Mexican flame leg. Or a Mexican orange knee.
by what I see in his photos my guess is B emilia. Lower legs look like they will be black. So Red Leg?