Mexican red knee not eating

tarantulaguy2020

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I got my first tarantula 5 months ago. She was eating a few crickets every week, but 3 weeks ago she hasn't eaten. Is something wrong with my tarantula? Is she sick? I've kept her water bowl full too.

Any help would be appreciated

cold blood

Staff member
Tarantulas only need so much food throughout each molt cycle, when their needs are met, they require no more food until after the next molt....even if its months or over a year. The faster one plumps their t, the sooner its nutritional needs are met, and the longer time it will spend fasting.

Just be patient.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
She was eating a few crickets every week
A few crickets every week? How big is your B. hamorii (I guess that's what you're referring to)? Juveniles only need to be fed about once a week and adults even only once or twice a month. So, if your T isn't a sling you may have fed too much, too fast and she might be fasting for quite some time before she moults. ;) I did that with my first T, a juvenile/sub-adult B. hamorii and she didn't eat for almost half a year before she finally moulted. :rolleyes:

Post some pictures of your T and her enclosure, it might help. :)

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
After this one molts, you may want to slow down on the feeding so that fasts won't start as quickly in the molt cycle and won't last as long.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is something wrong with my tarantula? Is she sick?
It might die, it might not. Do you really think we can make an informed decision without more details AND a clear good quality picture??

It's probably fine, but technically no one knows.