Mexican red knee issues please help.

Waski

Arachnopeon
Hello, i have a red knee mexican tarantula about 3inch body. It began to act werid in the new vivaroum for a while now. So the humidity is about 50-70% and the temps are kept about 19 to 24degress. It has water, the substrate also doesnt feel very wet. It keeps trying to escape. Sometimes i see it lying flat in the middle. However most of thr time its on the walls. Even today it was on the top :eek: only 1 picture as i couldn't add more :/. Lastly, im finding it very very very veryyyyyy hard to lower the humidity.

Attachments

Waski

Arachnopeon
Yes im using a humidity gauge here is a picture of it. I want to lower the humidity as on most websites i have seen that it should be about 40-60 %

Attachments

Icculus

Arachnosquire
How long has it been in the new enclosure? Could just be getting used to it. Pretty sure everyone is going to tell you to throw the humidity gauge in the trash.

Edit: and ask if there is a water dish and hide in there

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes im using a humidity gauge here is a picture of it. I want to lower the humidity as on most websites i have seen that it should be about 40-60 %
Those things are not accurate and furthermore, they may not be representative of the instrumentation used to study humidity requirements, if such a study exists, you might be talking + or - 20%, they are worthless. For a tarantula that size and of that species, overflow a water dish every 2 weeks, but always make sure fresh water is available, id personally make her a burrow as well with all that substrate, you can utilize a pvc pipe to help the t start it, you may also consider utilizing a pipe for the purposes of the 2 week water add down to the bottom. Im assuming that lid is screen in which case i dont recommend them as my first t succumbed to a five inch fall off a screen, they hang and fall.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
dont follow that junk. this is why no on likes those things, they lead many people to thinking spiders need exact requirements and they instantly die if they dont have 78.6938% humidity. its all garbage.
just let the substrate dry out on its own. keep a full water dish with water, no sponge, add a hide if there isnt one already, and leave it alone to settle in. arid species sometimes climb the sides in an attempt to escape humid conditions. your spider will be fine if you just let it dry out.

cold blood

Staff member
Throw the crap hygrometer in the trash, its already causing you unneeded problems. The species has no humidity requirements, just keep it dry with a water dish.

You are just seeing normal acclimation for a t. Do nothing and in time it will be just fine.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Throw the crap hygrometer in the trash, its already causing you unneeded problems. The species has no humidity requirements, just keep it dry with a water dish.

You are just seeing normal acclimation for a t. Do nothing and in time it will be just fine.
Im sure the hygrometer has some use, if hes handy he might be able to convert it into a clock

Waski

Arachnopeon
Oki doki people thank you fir your help.i will forget about the humidity gauge

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In case someone decides to house a T in the fridge?:rolleyes:
Yeah, that wouldn't be good, I can see it now.

"I power fed my t and he's growing too fast, I have him in the fridge to slow his metabolism, in an ICU for now, what temps and humidity should i be having while hes in there?"

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine likes to climb too which is a bit irritating to me.

But like others have said this is an arid species. The humidity guage is better for your dart frogs or salamanders.

to be a stickler, you would never use a humidity gauge like that for poison dart frogs, we don't use those gauges one because they are not needed, and two because they're garbage, so you wouldn't use garbage for something like a poison dart frog setup