Mexican flame knee acting weird

Fyorax

Arachnopeon
Im not sure if My mexican flame knee is suppose to be doing this but.

Hes going to like each corner of my tank high up and somewhat webbing the tank but he keeps dropping himself from abv. and im afraid he might hurt himself if he falls backwards. what should i do?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
First you should make sure the substrate is high enough so that theres no more than ~1.5X it's DLS (Diagonal leg span) from the top to the enclosure to the bottom. This will help prevent any damage from falls that may occur as she gets used to the tank.

Second, try to provide as dry a substrate as you can. If the substrate is wet, they'll be more prone to climbing around to get off of it.

Also note that it will take a few days for it to settle in, and during that time, it may spend a lot of time climbing all around the enclosure. It will eventually settle down.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big is the Tarantula, what size is the enclosure, and what type of substrate are you using?

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How far is it falling? No farther than twice it's legspan is safe in my opinion. If it's falling farther than that add some substrate immediately. It's normal for it to be checking out its enclosure. Most of my terrestrials have done this from time to time. Especially when they're in a new home.