Mexican Fantasy??? What the heck is it?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most likely a hybrid according to the x.. my thoughts.. any pics of it?

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Malhavoc's said:
Most likely a hybrid according to the x.. my thoughts.. any pics of it?
No pics that I can find... I was kinda thinking it was a hybrid but didnt want to embarass myself by suggesting that! LOL!

I AM curious to see one and if they are sterile or not.... Im still not to keen on the whole hyridization thing. I simply dont know enough to make an informed decision...

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mexican Fantasy...

That is bizarre. Never heard of it. We need to get a photo of this "mystery" T. If it is a hybrid I would surmise it would be sterile. I am going to look around and see if I can find anything out about this. :?

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Greg Wolfe said:
That is bizarre. Never heard of it. We need to get a photo of this "mystery" T. If it is a hybrid I would surmise it would be sterile. I am going to look around and see if I can find anything out about this. :?

If you find any info,please share. I cant imagine what it would look like! I just saw the listing this morning onthe link I posted above and havent found anythng on it yet.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doing a Google Image Search of "Mexican Fantasy" at work may lead to troublesome results. ;)

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Bark said:
Doing a Google Image Search of "Mexican Fantasy" at work may lead to troublesome results. ;)

LMAO you nut!!!

I googled the scientific name they have assigned it and come back with nada...except the listing on this pricelist I already posted. Wonder if its something they came up with themselves???

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah it's just a common name that's thrown around for pallidum x vagans crosses. Many of the "vagans" in the hobby are actually albopilosum x vagans crosses... or "albovagans".

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
yeah it's just a common name that's thrown around for pallidum x vagans crosses. Many of the "vagans" in the hobby are actually albopilosum x vagans crosses... or "albovagans".
I swear... all of this crossbreeding gets confusing. Im just emailing them and asking them what the heck it is and if they have a pic!

MrBaronIsBack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A lot of the reason for hybridization is to try and get the attention of the scientific community because they give so many T's full species status without trying to check out their breeding abilities. For those who know the science of it, I'm not talking to you. For those who don't understand how this ties in to classifying species, here goes the extent of my understanding of the matter:

If two T's, let's use B. Albo and B. Vagans, mate and produce infertile offspring, they are considered to be separate Species like the Donkey and the horse. You get the very sterile Mule. If you cross the two and they produce fertile offspring, however, they are considered to be merely subspecies, such as mating a German Shepherd with a Great Dane. Sure, you get mutts for offspring, but they ARE fertile.

Feel free to elaborate on any of the finer points that I missed or misinterpreted.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is driving me nuts!

I can't find anything on "mexican fantasy" except spanish fly and Cancun vacation specials. LOL.
Let us assume that this dealer has bred the two aforementioned and produced a hybrid. I really would like to see a photo of this thing.
From what I understand hybrids are sterile, although I am tempted to call this dealer and inquire what the heck he did.
This is one of those unorthodox breeding projects that I will be trying to follow up on. Let me know if you discover anything! :)

MrBaronIsBack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The easiest way to find pics of T's is to do an image search on your favorite search engine using the Genus name, in this case Brachypelma. It will show all pertinent images, and you WILL find pictures of hybrids there, I saw them when I was trying to find images that could help me identify my mystery Brachy.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Before anyone else says it I will there is no B.pallidum anymore its the B.verdezi

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
LOL! In my searching I discovered that too, rosehaired!

I did a google image search with the assigned name and there is nothing.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mexican Fantasy
(Brachypelma pallidum x vagans) * CB 3/4"
CB 1" $14.
$16.

This is exactly what the listing says with price. No link to a pic or elaboration on this thing. I have emailed and asked for more info.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I forgot to add something. I would like to hear your views on the pros and cons of hybridization. As I said I am not up on the data anough to make an informed decision. Im reading a bit about it, but Id like to hear the opinions of other hobbyists and breeders.

(can opened, worms everywhere..)

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I will post a picture of my B verdezi cross vagans sling ASAP. It is quite a beauty. Not really showing any colours yet. I will wait for its next molt to see.