mex flame knee question

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay my flame knee is in a 3- gallon tank . Water dish and halg log from pet store. It has gone under the log and clsed off both sides? I am thinking molt if so how long untill it comes out? Should I take a peak or not ? And if its not molting then what the heck?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
alot of Ts do this..

i wouldn't rip into it.
whens the last time it molted?

pce
dave

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
honestly I could not tell you I just got it about 1 week and a half ago or so it has a bald path not darkend yet kinda pinkish i'd say

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how big is it? I don't know if its getting ready to molt yet.. may just be getting comfortable..

you have to realise that sometimes you'll get a T, and you'll end up (what we say) "caring for dirt" -- in other words, you may never see the T and never watch it eat, but you still take care of it, but it seems like youre just taking care of dirt...

but sometimes they webthem selves up, so i guess you could go further and say "caring for web".. you just gotta go with it..

I usually never rip into the webs unless i know somethings up. Sometimes you have to though.. I know some people wait a couple weeks, and some people never do it..

so i guess, whenever you feel its necessary... i guess regardless of what people say, you gotta do what you feel comfortable with...

but at the same time, the T wouldn't web itself up for no reason, you know..

but yeah, whats the size on that bad boy?

pce
dave

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spike
Okay my flame knee is in a 3- gallon tank . Water dish and halg log from pet store. It has gone under the log and clsed off both sides? I am thinking molt if so how long untill it comes out? Should I take a peak or not ? And if its not molting then what the heck?
Closed off both sides with web or with subtrate/dirt?
How big is the half-log? I'm assuming yours is a Smithi, so it might just be digging a tunnel and piling up dirt near the exits because that was the only place it could think to put the dirt at the time.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My 3" B albopilosum has done exactly the same with his cork bark. There are only tiny entrances, which I poke a cricket through every day. They don't come back :eek: so I know the T is alive and well. Every week I press down the dirt slightly so I can see him, and he goes and fills it back overnight.

Most Brachypelma sp. will burrow when given the opportunity. Your T is just making himself at home.

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool thanks for all the response. No its not a smithi its a B.auratam feisty little beast too

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
hey spike—
this sounds like this could be a serious problem. i think you should ship the tarantula to me so i can further study it and figure out what might be happening. usually i charge a $230 fee for something like this, but since you're relatively new to the hobby, i'll cut the price to a mere $175. pm me, and i'll give you my address and payment options.
and if i were you, i'd act QUICK! if your b. auratum is deathly ill, the ONLY way to make it better is to send it to me. you don't want to lose a beautiful tarantula, do you?!?

krystal

(p.s.: i'm just joking. unless you've already run out and gotten the money order—then i'm completely serious :) )

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
alright...first of dont listen to krystal lol (nice try tho krystal...)

my rosehair did, actually is doing that right now. It basically put a wall of webbing infront of its entrance and pushed the substrate towards the entrance making a wall...the first time it did this i was wooried and lifted the hide to see what was going on. Since nothing had happened, i didnt consider it anything serious. so i took down the wall and it built it up again. Now im just waiting to see what it looks like when it shows it face. its been 2 weeks and counting.

basically i wouldnt be too worried about it. its not gonna kill itself in there lol...or at least i hope not. a molt may be near, thats what im leaning towards for mine. so just let it do its thing and it'll be fine

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
alright...first of dont listen to krystal lol (nice try tho krystal...)
okay, who are you going to listen to? paladin isn't even 18 yet! ;P

besides, he has only two spiders, compared to my 28 (okay, 18 of them are b. albopilo slings that are going to come in the mail, but STILL! scheesh!)

i am a seasoned tarantula professional...honest!

Last edited:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's good Krystal!! Look I won't give away your ruse, you get the spider, breed it and sell me one CHEAP!!

Andy