Mex brachy's

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Of the B.emilia..auratum..smithi..boehmei...klassi...ruhnuai..vagans and A.bicoloratum..what are the most desirable,not so readily available T??From most to least.I have a chance to get a couple of species of them and they're quite costly so I'd like to get the more rare,desirable of them....peace..they will also be for future breeding projects....

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by pelo
Of the B.emilia..auratum..smithi..boehmei...klassi...ruhnuai..vagans and A.bicoloratum..what are the most desirable,not so readily available T??From most to least.I have a chance to get a couple of species of them and they're quite costly so I'd like to get the more rare,desirable of them....peace..they will also be for future breeding projects....
the rarest would probably be auratum, klassi, I am not too familiar with the ruhnuai.
emilia, smithi, boehmei are not too hard to find, but yet still desirable.
vagans are not easy to find but seem to be priced low, a understated t in the hobby IMHO.
bicoloratum are not easy to find and desirable.
the above is my two cents worth.
you did not mention b. baumgarteni, but these are rare and desirable, some debate as to if it is a valid sp. or not.
John Hoke of e-spiderworld has the baumgarteni and auratum for 475.00 to give you an idea of the upper limits of their prices.
another thing to consider is the urticating hairs.......boehmeis (for me anyway) seem to have the worst hairs among the brachys, grammys, and aphonos.
Ed

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
B. ruhnuai is probably the least common, followed by klaasi. Then you got B. auratum, followed by boehmi and emilia in a tie. Then, B. smithi, A. bicoloratum. Last place would go to the vagans (easy to breed in captivity and a fast grower for a Brachy).

On the other hand, desirability is a whole different subject from price and rarity. Klaasi is indeed pretty rare (as well as difficult to breed in captivity from what I've read), but it's also not real high on people's "Igottahaveit" lists either. Ditto for auratum - it may be rare, but appearance wise all it looks like is a B. smithi somebody forgot to keep marking with red.

Conversely, everybody and their brother (including me) loves B. smithis, and boehmi and A. bicoloratum aren't far behind on the "must have" lists. Just something else to consider if breeding is part of your goal.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Mex brachy's

Originally posted by atavuss
vagans are not easy to find but seem to be priced low, a understated t in the hobby IMHO.
I totally agree with this comment. I adore my B. vagans and think everyone should have this species, especially since they are not expensive in the least. I've also got B. albopilosum, B. angustum, and B. smithi--all wonderful in their own way. High on my list of must-haves are: boehmei, klaasi, and ruhnaui. The emilias look pretty cool too. Dang it, just get all of the Brachypelma species you can get your hands on, if you can afford them. What a great genus!

kellygirl

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Re: Mex brachy's

Originally posted by atavuss
Understated and underappreciated? Yes, but hard to find? Five out of the eight dealers I have on "speed dial" have them in stock right now, and the other three usually carry them. Their growth rate is similar to curlies and they breed well - the only way they'll ever actually be hard to find is if people stupidly don't breed them because of the perception of them being non-desireable.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree, i don't neccesarily find them "hard to find" -- well i guess it depends on what you consider 'hard to find' -- i know 3 places to get them right now... I think Art Cerda has some too. Iknow he had some amazing ones at the Rep Swap in Chicago.

beautiful species!
peace
dave

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, oout of tex-mex brachys, I don't see Boehmei mentioned here very often..mostly Emilia or Smithi. Likewise, those seem more common if I look around on other sites, Swedish and not, than Boehmei and Auratum.

Hmm, I thought that comment about painting pretty funny CM; but I don't really agree. The Auratums band looks different, and overall, just that one band gives them a somewhat distinguished look. Also, the carapace doesn't make it look like a crustacean (Boehmeis are still the nicest looking though :) )

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I currently have boehmi, vagans, albopilosa, and emelia. The boehmi is a very nice spider, a bit jumpy with the urticating hairs though. I really like the emelia, relatively calm. I would try ruhnuai or A. bicoloratum and of course smithi the old staple.

Andy

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Mex brachy's

Originally posted by Code Monkey
Understated and underappreciated? Yes, but hard to find? Five out of the eight dealers I have on "speed dial" have them in stock right now, and the other three usually carry them. Their growth rate is similar to curlies and they breed well - the only way they'll ever actually be hard to find is if people stupidly don't breed them because of the perception of them being non-desireable.
I should have said that "vagans are hard to find in most pet stores" I do realize that most online vendors carry them. for that matter most of the above mentioned t's with the exception of smithis are "hard to find" in most pet stores.
Ed