Methods of killing prey

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
In nature there is no ethic, If a T can grab up a mouse or any other small creature when it comes down to a feeding response it will.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
In nature there is no ethic, If a T can grab up a mouse or any other small creature when it comTaown to a feeding response it will.
To each his own. But for me, the fact that they might eat a mouse in the wild doesn't mean i have to supply my captive tarantulas with them.
Tarantula have a high mortality rate in the wild, but i am not going to release a baboon in my T room to make it more like how it lives in the wild....

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd say my Cyriopagopus Hati Hati has the most bizarre way of dispatching her prey. She takes some web between her first pair of legs and creeps up on her prey. Web is thrown around the neck and pulled tight. All the time she wiggles her abdomen. A sort of happy dance if you will. With the last kick of a leg the deed is done and she steps back to admire her work.

I really need to have a sit down talk with her.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
From what I have seen mentioned on other threads feeding mice to T's can get messy and smelly. There are no benefits in doing it.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
To each his own. But for me, the fact that they might eat a mouse in the wild doesn't mean i have to supply my captive tarantulas with them.
Tarantula have a high mortality rate in the wild, but i am not going to release a baboon in my T room to make it more like how it lives in the wild....
Oh, I fully agree. I don't feed my T's mice either. It's unnecessary.

SolFeliz

Arachnosquire
I see this as a mixed topic. Not to derail an hijack the thread but why are you aginst it out of curiosity?
Mamals are part of tarantula diet in the wild so i see no factual reason NOT to offer a small mamal on occasion.
I know theres rumors that its somehow bad for the T but to you im asking why you disagree with feeding manals and in general im asking is there actually any real factual evidence as to why we shouldnt?????
Maybe because it seems horrible? I for one hate having to feed live anythings to anything. Even criciets I feel bad for.

McSP1D8R

Arachnopeon
They are definitely not bad for the t. The only real issue (aside from ethics) is that the mouse may harm the t. Though I have read that pinkies can't harm t's.
Simple way round the ethics and potential defensive attack from a mouse is to feed a frozen/thawed individual :) I occassionally feed my large terrestrial females a mouse when Im about to start any necessary conditioning cycles before introducing a male, that way if I strike lucky from a 1st pairing and she hides away to lay a sac at least I know she is well fed..