Method to Catch B. Lateralis Nymph

MrTeacher

Arachnopeon
Hey all!

Quick question I wanted to run by everyone. I was trying to catch a B. Lateralis today for my T and I have to say they are slippery. I've seen some of the DIY sifters and things people use, but I was wondering if my method I thought of was safe for a T.

Next time I'm planning on using a piece of masking tape and sticking one of the roaches to it. From there I can pick it up with my fingers and drop it in the enclosure.

My real concern is, would it be a concern to the tarantula to eat a roach that was on a piece of tape? I'm not sure if tape has any toxic chemicals that could rub off or anything. Just asking here before I try it! :)

Thanks as always!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My real concern is, would it be a concern to the tarantula to eat a roach that was on a piece of tape? I'm not sure if tape has any toxic chemicals that could rub off or anything. Just asking here before I try it!
I would not catch prey items with tape, as there's no telling what's in the adhesive and whether the residue might be toxic to your tarantula.

MrTeacher

Arachnopeon
I would not catch prey items with tape, as there's no telling what's in the adhesive and whether the residue might be toxic to your tarantula.
Alrighty! Figured as much. I'll just go ahead and do the coax the prey into a pill bottle and dump them in the enclosure method I've been reading up on. Thanks Ungoliant! :)

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
The easiest way to catch lats for feeding is cooling them off first- stick them in the fridge for a little and they slow down a lot, soooooo much easier to deal with.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Alrighty! Figured as much. I'll just go ahead and do the coax the prey into a pill bottle and dump them in the enclosure method I've been reading up on. Thanks Ungoliant! :)
Getting them into a pill bottle and dumping them in is the easiest method I've found for the pinhead b. lats. It has the least risk of killing them (if that's something you're trying to avoid, like me) so you can enjoy watching the take down. :astonished:

I like the suggestion to cool them down, I'm definitely trying that as soon as my slings reopen their burrows to eat again.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My real concern is, would it be a concern to the tarantula to eat a roach that was on a piece of tape?
YES YES YES YES :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I've used lats before, they are more slippery than crix, you just have to be smarter than the roach ;)

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I always keep a few empty paper towels rolls in the B lat enclosure for easy capture. So I just dump a paper towel roll full of roaches into a smaller container (I think spring mix greens came in mine so the sides are high enough to avoid escapes yet corners are rounded for an easy capture with a large vial). I have never had trouble catching B lats in the vial (usually I scoop 'em up from the wonderfully rounded corner on temp container). In fact, I often catch either more than I intended (or sometimes accidentally catch the wrong size roach for the T but that's easily dumped for a retry). Easy-peasy. I also just dump the roach into T container directly from the vial.
Dennis, if I had to catch B lats with tongs... my Ts would starve. lol I am tong-inept....

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
While feeding my first postmolt sling this morning, I thought of this post. I keep small bits of egg carton in with my lats and that makes them a little easier to catch/coax into a vial. Just be careful of escapees, check your hands and arms for crawlers after you're done, cuz lats can become an invasive species if allowed to escape.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I breed S. lateralis roaches.
Easy, pull a 6"X12" section out, shake them into a 5 gal. pail. Using a 50 dram vial I remove whatever size I need.
Photo of the tank. Yes, time to feed them. ;) S. lateralis tank.jpg

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i use this awesome method of... rolling up my sleeves and just grabbing them and putting what i need in a bucket and grab them by tongs to feed lmao but id def use some tongs if u cant do that XD

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I use Elliptorhina javanica nymphs to feed mine. I catch several and keep them in a vial. That way you have some available. It's far easier to fish one out of the vial. Throw in one piece of oaT to keep them nutritious. I usually use them before they need any water.