Metallyticus splendidus (Metallic Bark Mantis)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Just got a group of five nymphs, hopefully I'll be able to rear them to maturity and breed them! 😁

Metallyticussplendidus#5.JPG Metallyticussplendidus#6.JPG
Metallyticussplendidus#8.JPG

Here's one nomming on a Compsodes schwarzi micro-roach, (one of the best small feeders out there IMO)

2023-02-25-21-24-25-263.jpg
2023-02-25-21-25-31-512.jpg

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
A friend of mine has a group himself, i look forward to some of the offspring (hehehe).
Awesome species.

Fingers crossed you got a male in that group!

Isopods others

Arachnoknight
Fascinating, the wonders of the invertebrate world from Egyptian predator beetles to new species of Isopod in the far east, I love the fact that this hobby is ever expanding, as for the mantis front a very beautiful species indeed I bet they cost a fair bit ha

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
A friend of mine has a group himself, i look forward to some of the offspring (hehehe).
Awesome species.

Fingers crossed you got a male in that group!
Nice, hope you can get some soon! :D

Lol, I'd love an even sex ratio, however from what I've heard they tend to be more male heavy than female heavy.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Fascinating, the wonders of the invertebrate world from Egyptian predator beetles to new species of Isopod in the far east, I love the fact that this hobby is ever expanding, as for the mantis front a very beautiful species indeed I bet they cost a fair bit ha
Yeah, always something different to try out in this hobby! 😊 And yeah they're pretty pricey, though I was able to circumvent that by just trading some uncommon roaches for them.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Nice, hope you can get some soon! :D

Lol, I'd love an even sex ratio, however from what I've heard they tend to be more male heavy than female heavy.
what? i just talked to a breeder that sold a female, even a possibly paired one, for way less than the males because he only has about 5-10% males

then again it could vary between lines, the ones he had were from an import all the way back in 2007

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
what? i just talked to a breeder that sold a female, even a possibly paired one, for way less than the males because he only has about 5-10% males

then again it could vary between lines, the ones he had were from an import all the way back in 2007
Interesting! Might just depend on the line I suppose, I'll definitely have to observe the ratio in my culture closely.

attenboroughii

Arachnosquire
This mantis has a very beautiful and unique movement and biology.
If you have any problems with breeding, please ask me.
I am one of the best people in the world at keeping and breeding this praying mantis.
Maybe I can help you.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
This mantis has a very beautiful and unique movement and biology.
If you have any problems with breeding, please ask me.
I am one of the best people in the world at keeping and breeding this praying mantis.
Maybe I can help you.
what is your usual male to female ratio?

attenboroughii

Arachnosquire
what is your usual male to female ratio?
As is true not only of Metallyticus but also of praying mantis in general, it often happens that the sex ratio of praying mantis born from eggs is extremely unbalanced.
But it is not only females. Sometimes only males are born. In my experience, in the worst cases, the ratio was as low as 1:5.
If I were to breed, I would not be comfortable with only five.
However, if you are lucky, you will get half males and half females.