Metallica

Tapnapsnap93

Arachnopeon
So my pokey is in this enclosure which I could see being a little big but do y’all think it’s big enough to stress her? She molted on the bottom side of bark but has now been all the way at the top underneath the lid? Is this normal gooty behavior or should I rehouse in something smaller? Any opinions welcomed thanks 😊

Attachments

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
I started mine in 32 oz deli cups and they are doing great, not sure how your enclosure compares. But yes, definitely more ventilation is ideal.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I started mine in 32 oz deli cups and they are doing great, not sure how your enclosure compares. But yes, definitely more ventilation is ideal.
32 oz is fine. Smaller is optimal. They don't have as much open space to worry about. More space, more predators.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People don’t read enough or critically analyze “stress” and supposed large setups.

How can any large box properly designed stress out an animal, it can’t/shouldn’t. They do live in larger setups called Earth.

Most people that have stressed out Ts simply haven’t designed the box properly with enough cage furniture.

Use critical thinking skills, strain the good ole’ brain beyond the latest cartoon on TV and ask yourself “How does a Poki survive in a park with trees? Surely that’s larger than a box. ;)

Tapnapsnap93

Arachnopeon
People don’t read enough or critically analyze “stress” and supposed large setups.

How can any large box properly designed stress out an animal, it can’t/shouldn’t. They do live in larger setups called Earth.

Most people that have stressed out Ts simply haven’t designed the box properly with enough cage furniture.

Use critical thinking skills, strain the good ole’ brain beyond the latest cartoon on TV and ask yourself “How does a Poki survive in a park with trees? Surely that’s larger than a box. ;)
I guess it’s like us living in a house compared to bein locked in a jail cell. Still survive just not as comfortable. Or an open dorm being too “open” for some inmates comfort they prefer a cell. So that’s prolly how they can be stressed

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess it’s like us living in a house compared to bein locked in a jail cell. Still survive just not as comfortable. Or an open dorm being too “open” for some inmates comfort they prefer a cell. So that’s prolly how they can be stressed
Huge spaces don’t matter, interior design does

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I don’t think it’s too large, like @viper69 said, cage furniture will help make the difference on providing a secure space within the enclosure. Some keep theirs in more sparse setups, others more dense. It is also learning your spider. I know mine requires a lot more hides and foliage due to it’s crazy skittish behavior; I want it running down into shelter, not up at me.

Personally not a fan of what it’s in now. The lid is not transparent which means every time you need to open that up you have to put yourself in a position to view where the spider is while also taking the top off at the same time...not optimal by any means. Same for putting it back on. But that’s me, I’m sure their are others that find no issues with it. I’m the person that has my eye on the T every step of the way when I have to open the enclosure up.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
As has been stated, if your enclosure is oversized like this you need more deco to make the spider feel secure. Downside is you could have issues feeding - but being a pokie I don't think that's a concern.

You need much more ventilation imo. It's not meant to hold koolaid anymore, don't be afraid to poke holes in it.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +

This is very true.

That being said, what @viper69 is trying to say here is NOT should you then go ahead and put your sling into a well designed hundred gallons sized massive enclosure.

The reason why tarantula keepers are recommending proper sized enclosures is to easily monitor your tarantula while eating, molting, burrowing, playing with dirts.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
As has been stated, if your enclosure is oversized like this you need more deco to make the spider feel secure. Downside is you could have issues feeding - but being a pokie I don't think that's a concern.

You need much more ventilation imo. It's not meant to hold koolaid anymore, don't be afraid to poke holes in it.
You don't vent your Kool-Aid jugs?

pokie78

Arachnopeon
Put it in a darker room, or place it on a higher shelf.
P. metallica hates light. Therefore it may hide under the enclosure lid.