Mesquite BBQ smoking wood chips

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Kind of a weird question but I was wondering what your guys’ opinion would be on if using these with Centruroides sculpturatus scorplings would be safe. I ran out of the bark i was using before and i noticed i had these mesquite bbq woodchips in my pantry for whenever we smoked ribs or whatever, but i had the idea of using them for my scorplings since they’re the perfect size

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
If it's not treated at all (since it's meant for smoking there may be additives), I wouldn't see why not?
I've never found it to be very aromatic or resinous when bone dry like say cedar or pine.
Perhaps some other opinions would be nice.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
If it's not treated at all (since it's meant for smoking there may be additives), I wouldn't see why not?
I've never found it to be very aromatic or resinous when bone dry like say cedar or pine.
Perhaps some other opinions would be nice.
to my knowledge there aren’t any additives. but yeah forsure. i’ll wait and see if anyone else wants to chime in. thanks for the reply!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i'll tell ya one thing........you will have a nice smelling enclosure if it is safe to use for the little buggers :) mmmmm......mesquite bbq

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Hey mate, just like our food, some woodchips are laden with chemicals to protect a companies viability at the cost of the health of their consumers and families. Some are soaked in flame retardant, almost all are treated with insecticide, here's an extract from guidelines outlined for such companies.

Extract reads as follows:
Insect control. All insects on cooking wood must be
killed. If not, they will come out of the package in
stores, homes, and restaurants and can ruin a business.
Most companies are using insecticide chemicals such as
aluminum and magnesium phosphide fumigants or
methyl bromide. At the time of printing of this publica-
tion, methyl bromide has been scheduled by EPA to be
phased out by year 2000. The Texas Department of
Agriculture has approved these two chemicals (and only
these two) for treatment of mesquite cooking wood.

"Hmmm, nice smoked ribs but could have used more methyl bromide?"

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I would not use that product. Just get something that is guaranteed to be invertebrate safe.

Why risk it?

Centruroides sculpturatus are arboreal. They don't really care what the substrate is all that much. Throw a thin layer of play sand or whatever in there to mimic their natural environment and provide the appropriate climbing bark/surfaces/etc and leave it at that.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I would not use that product. Just get something that is guaranteed to be invertebrate safe.

Why risk it?

Centruroides sculpturatus are arboreal. They don't really care what the substrate is all that much. Throw a thin layer of play sand or whatever in there to mimic their natural environment and provide the appropriate climbing bark/surfaces/etc and leave it at that.
I think you might have misunderstood haha, I have playsand as a substrate, i was going to use the wood chips in small deli cups to act as a climbing bark surface. but it seems like that’s not a good idea reading the replies so i’ll have to just take a trip to the store & find something safe