mesobuthus tamalus sindicus

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
are these little guys known to be burrowers? i have three m.t.s. scorplings and up until the other day i hadn't noticed them moving about any of their substrate whatsoever. then for the first time in weeks we had a heavy rain hit. humidity went up quite a bit, and in one night all three of my little guys plowed out little burrows, just deep enough to get below ground level in.

is this a reaction to the humidity or could it have something to do with an upcoming molt perhaps? their siblings have already molted with the tabors and i still haven't had mine achieve their next molt yet. they have refused food since their arrival with me, yet still seem ok. I do keep them a little cooler (80-85 degrees) than I have read the bros keep theirs.

Just curious what could be going on with the little guys. I lost one heterometrus sp. scorpling a while back, and would hate to see any more of my kids go down the same path yet...

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not many people in the US have these so dont expect too much specific information, however, i know more people keep basic tamulus so maybe they can chime in. I will just say that none of ours have showed any signs of burrowing, just hiding under rocks and bark. We keep ours in the 90's so maybe thats why ours have already molted.

edit: also they are soon going to be reclassified Hottentotta tamulus sindicus, or so i've beed told ;)

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just got mine today...6 babies :D
Just wonderin how should i set their setup ?
100%dry or with some wet spots here and there ?
Sand or clay mix with cocopeat ?

All i know is i killed my previous hottentotta coz i guessed it was too dry :8o

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i keep 7 of mine on pure sand and the other 7 on 50/50 the ones i keep on sand i also keep really dry, the others relatively moist.

so far both are thriving,molting and eating perfectly !

looks like they have a wide range of conditions, also the temps are 88F - 90F and night time of 75F

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey,

A couple of mine have dug around the vial, but since the sand isnt compacted they wont be able to have a burrow. When I rehouse them maybe I'll compact the sand and see if any of them will start a burrow.

I have 4 specimens currently and three of them are 3rd instar, and one is at 4th. Temps are about 80-90F, and they get water about once every two weeks. All are doing great and are voracious feeders!

Cheers,
Ryan

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm, i've been keeping mine a relatively dry peat, maybe i should switch them to sand?

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm since we are talkin bout sindicus here, i'd like to know wats the difference between sindicus and gangeticus ? :?

I'm plannin to keep mine in compacted clay soil coz it can really be tunnelled :D
Didnt know tat until my new LQ dun in. Its nice...will plan a deeper tank for her coz the tunnel drop due to lack of height and she kept diggin the walls