Mesh lid troubles for T enclosure

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
my wife bought me two of these glass tanks with mesh tops for my birthday. I might be able to return them but I want to know if I could easily convert them to suitable enclosures for my growing terrestrials. I'm willing to cut some plexi if that's what it comes down to. Is it worth it?

Attachments

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
You could probably modify them fairly easy. Check prices on ebay for acrylic sheets that are the right size. It may be as easy as removing the mesh and glueing thenacrylic sheet in place, after drilling holes in it of course.

You'll just need to take a closer look at the construction of the lid to see how easy it is to replace the mesh.

There are LOTS of tutorials on youtube. Take a look there as well.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
If you can remove the screen I see a nice inset area on the top that you can drop a piece of Plexiglass into with some hot glue or silicone. I imagine silicone will look better for this purpose, but make certain it dries completely because the solvents are toxic. Otherwise if there a lip or surface of some sort inside the cover you can pump adhesive into/on then you can just hot glue a piece of Plexiglass around the edges over the screen.

Either way, just take the lid to Home Depot & they'll cut a piece of Plexiglass to size, drill some holes, then glue it in place with your adhesive of choice. It's stupid easy.

I'll leave the top ventilation vs. cross ventilation debate to those who are passionate about the issue.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Tape a border of a couple inches on the underside with some good tape. It should stop them climbing onto the mesh

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
I use mesh screens on virtually all my Ts. I plasti dip the mesh and have not had any problems with stuck legs. Only concern would be some larger species possibly chewing through the mesh.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use mesh screens on virtually all my Ts. I plasti dip the mesh and have not had any problems with stuck legs. Only concern would be some larger species possibly chewing through the mesh.
How long have had those Ts in mesh tops? Never dipped the screen, can only imagine it's not a question of IF you will have a problem, but WHEN.

Unless you have terrestrials and the sub height is so height that they cannot suspend themselves on the screen. I could see that potentially working.

Good luck, your Ts will need it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my wife bought me two of these glass tanks with mesh tops for my birthday. I might be able to return them but I want to know if I could easily convert them to suitable enclosures for my growing terrestrials. I'm willing to cut some plexi if that's what it comes down to. Is it worth it?
Just replace it with acrylic, using mesh is a bad idea. Ts will get stuck or chew threw it. The former is worse IMO. It's no treat to find your T hanging by a leg, or worse, lose a leg.

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
How long have had those Ts in mesh tops? Never dipped the screen, can only imagine it's not a question of IF you will have a problem, but WHEN.

Unless you have terrestrials and the sub height is so height that they cannot suspend themselves on the screen. I could see that potentially working.

Good luck, your Ts will need it.

They did have problems before I started dipping the screen. I once came down to find one of my B. smithi dangling by 1 leg and it freaked me out pretty bad. that was a few years ago, but after dipping, They never had any issues when they decided to crawl on it, and I made sure to never to have the height from lid to top of substrate be more than their leg span.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Tape you are so simple and effective :) Seriously, two inches of tape will stop them. Or, tape the entire mesh lid and poke holes. You're looking through the side anyway.