mentally handy capped feeders

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
did not wanna say retarded and offend anyone.
do you guys ever have those crix,roaches ect that are dumb
i was feeding my rosea yesterday i dropped a roach in and it just laid there still almost what i though was dead. I touched it and its legs moved i checked this morning it was still there, and it moved when i touched it and i pulled it out and put it in the dubia enclosure all the sudden it started running around. dont you hate those? :wall:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not that they're dumb, it's that they have good defense mechanisms. It worked, didn't it? He didn't get eaten. It is annoying though, I will admit.

That's what I like about crickets, they may smell and make noise, but at least they bumble around and don't play dead or burrow into the sub. They just keep hopping along. It makes the process go a lot faster.

Cass

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
i know its annoying. but then again shame on g.rosea for not taking the bull by the horns like she would if my hand was near her :rolleyes:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Actually, that seems like the smart thing to do considering the circumstances. After all, It did avoid becoming food for a night despite your efforts!

Also, "handicapped"

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
It's not that they're dumb, it's that they have good defense mechanisms. It worked, didn't it? He didn't get eaten. It is annoying though, I will admit.

That's what I like about crickets, they may smell and make noise, but at least they bumble around and don't play dead or burrow into the sub. They just keep hopping along. It makes the process go a lot faster.

Cass
i usally use those just wanted to try a little variety never used them before.

Cookii

Arachnopeon
When i drop the crickets in the T's tanks it always seems like they think they have outsmarted me in some way when they run into the nearest hidey hole so it makes me feel a bit smug when they realise what's waiting down there for them {D

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's why I added a second colony and added B.lateralis roaches. They are the new "cricket" Unfortunately... I'm struggling to figure out the combination to getting rid of mold and stink... :barf:

Lats need a bit more humidity. I think I am going to get away from my roach chow and water crystals and go straight to wet foods and see if that doesn't help. Then I can pull the food out before "The Magic Stink" appears.

But yep, that would be the world of dubia. Anything that you can tong feed works very well for dubia. All my paired up spiders that are eating like a horse get big fat dubia. All my slings and picky eaters get Lats.

:D

The only thing that sucks is when your neighbor comes over and asks "What do you feed your spiders?" They never seem to look at me the same!

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Maybe if you crush its head a little before dropping them in?
Crushing their heads tends to shut their bodies down from blunt trauma... I've actually found it more effective to snip their heads off with a scissors or maybe clip their legs halfway off on one side... anything to cause more erratic motion or nerve trauma.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get yourself B. lateralis. They don't smell, they don't play dead, they don't burrow themselves, they don't climb glass and they are faster than crickets. Once my spiders tried these, they detest the crickets and only want to eat these and meal/superworms!:wall:

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dont mean to high jack this thread bout how long can dubias survive with out food but has humidity... one large nymp escaped the cluches of my H. lividum and weged its self between the side of the enclosure and the dirt (i can see it) its been there in the same spot for 2 months... and yes its alive

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dont mean to high jack this thread bout how long can dubias survive with out food but has humidity... one large nymp escaped the cluches of my H. lividum and weged its self between the side of the enclosure and the dirt (i can see it) its been there in the same spot for 2 months... and yes its alive
These dubia rank up there with "twinkies" in terms of life span! Dead Serious! I have one sitting there for 3 months now and molted into a full blown adult male. :)

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After I started feeding with roaches, I tongfeed everyone, as they squirm like madmenn when you pinch they're butts! One of me T's is the really stupid ones, she takes the roach, comes out on my hands and settle down to eat there.. Silly girl..