Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Melly, the G. rosea with a LOT of issues!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Ixithel, Apr 30, 2011.

1. KoriTamashii

KoriTamashii Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    Based on your pics, I'm pretty sure that's a mature male; and likely on its last legs. Are their hooks under his first two legs? And do his pedipalps have bulbs? It looks like it in these pics, but the angles are odd, so I can't be sure.

2. Ixithel

Ixithel Arachnosquire

I'm pretty sure it is a male, but not mature. No hooks nor bulbs just reallly reaaaaallllllly skinny.
    I just keep calling it 'she' out of bad habit @.@ it'll be a she to me until a molt proves me otherwise!

3. Hobo

Hobo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Staff Member

You can see it's palps and legs in several photos and it's clear it isn't a mature male. In fact, I'd guess it would be female maybe based on that ventral shot (the skinny abdomen and not-so-clear photos make it hard to see).

Anyway, I would have guessed nematodes, but I know next to nothing about that.
    If it smells, I'm thinking bacterial?
    Sorry, I'm of no help. Good luck with her though.

4. Ixithel

Ixithel Arachnosquire

Female, male i'll love that poor T the same.

From my last thread I posted I did look up a lot of info on nematodes and it just doesn't really add up, not to mention if it was she might have been dead by now?

I'm also wondering...bacterial or fungal, putting Melly in an ICU with moisture would make the situation worse right?

thanks for the good luck wishes : )

5. PhobeToPhile

PhobeToPhile Arachnoknight

The big thing is, can she still move her palps and chelicerae? In the advanced stages the nematode infection actually devours the musculature of those, causing them to "freeze". Can you take some of the white stuff and look at it under a microscope?

6. Ixithel

Ixithel Arachnosquire

Yes she can :) she tried nom nom nomming me while I had her pinch grabbed yesterday. Not very happy with me at all. But like I said i've been skeptical about nematodes for nearly a month now and nothing weird is happening with her palps. I can't examine under a microscope but I have put a clump in water and nothing dispersed. It looked like kind of it you chipped off some chalk and places it in water.

Oh and UPDATE: I am going to place her into the same container without papertowels and drop a roach in there so it can't burrow and see if she gets it. With a water dish of course : )

She just haired me too, not sure if thats a good sign or anything, certainly not on my end *scratches*

7. captmarga

captmarga Arachnobaron

Glad you are doing the best for him/her... looks male to me in the leg photo also.

I have a MM A. metallica that is old and skinny, too. He will drink but will not eat. I am going to try some cricket soup on him.

As for the smelly gook... without knowing his/her background... isolation is the best thing, washing hands after messing with him.

Good luck,

Marga

8. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

Obviously something going on near the mouth, what? too hard to tell from just pics. My knee jerk answer was nematodes also.

Do you have access to a microscope?

9. Ixithel

Ixithel Arachnosquire

captmarga- Yeah I currently have poor Melly in the closet away from the rest.

Nerri1029 The white stuff comes and goes, i'm not sure if I mentioned it before. There was that one time in my previous thread and now this time. Most of the time it looks normal

I do not have access to a microscope, but if I did, would taking a clump and putting it under work? I'm not sure whatever might be living in there would be alive by the time I took it to where I might be able to use a microscope unless I bring the T as well. Not sure how that works.

10. If you do get access to a microscope it wouldn't matter if what you were looking at was dead or not. You'd have to smear it on a slide and look at it through the scope. I'm sure you know what nematodes would look like (little wormy things) but I'm not sure what a fungus would look like.

Good luck with your T :(

11. Ixithel

Ixithel Arachnosquire

http://www.giantspiders.com/ailments.html

According to this, it seems like Melly might have a dehydration issue but as you scroll down the nematode infested T picture looks nothing like Melly's issue.

Honestly, if she would EAT I wouldn't be freaking out so much because if she can eat then we can completely rule out nematodes and if she eats she will fatten up and get healthy again.

12. Mez

Mez Arachnoknight

It looks a good size, and from a chain will prolly be wild caught...could just be an old female coming to the end of her days. Maybe put a post up seeing if anyone lical to you has a microscope?

13. Ixithel

Ixithel Arachnosquire

Mez- It is very possible, that lps knew nothing about her. I should have been smart and bought from a breeder but like I said, I do not regret buying Melly at all but I definitely learned from this.

Also, anyone have any tips to help me feed her? There is an female roach in the icu container with her and she's ignoring it. perhaps if I decapitate the roach or crush it or make a sort of soup it will help her fatten up? Suggestions please?

14. Mez

Mez Arachnoknight

She's probably shutting down internally, does she drink?

15. Ixithel

Ixithel Arachnosquire

She does drink, she's just never eaten in my care... she COULD be old but I guess i'll never know. I just need her to eat @.@ seems life or death given her abdomen went from full-skinny to shrivled-skinny in under a month

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Also, as I attempt to encourage her to feed tonight I will be taking pictures. Is there anything specific you guys want to see? I will take more high res pics of her mouth, definitely. Regardless I will be returning her back to her enclosure tonight and isolating her from my other Ts

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Alright so I took her out of the ICU, crushes a roach and set it before her hide.

First thing I did was take before pics. Now the pics on my first post were all what it looked like after water was thrown in the mix. This is what it looks like before any tampering.
    [​IMG]

After examining I found a bit of substrate in her mouth so I removed that then proceeded to wet the area. As you can see, the white is farther down her mouth, not INSIDE it but more on the underside. When I prod it it's like a never ending scab of white goo. We swished a couple clumps in some water and still saw no worms.

[​IMG]

I took a Q-tip and cleaned the area, she did not like that and was moving her fangs like a crazy. Can't be nematodes as she doesn't portray the obvious symptom of paralyzed palps.

Area cleaned:
    [​IMG]

Afterwards I gave her a new water dish and placed her into her enclosure where she immediately went into her hide (don't blame her). I crushed a roach and the innards shot out the back (yes, ew) and I put the struggling insect right in front of her hide, innards pointing her way. I put her in the dark away from my other T's. I guess all I can do is hope she eats right now.

16. DamoK21

DamoK21 Arachnosquire

UK
    I had a simular problem once upon a time. The girl was very skinny, shriveled to be exact. No white discharge/crap around her mouth, but again very thin.

She is alive and well today :), and doing great !!

Id advise you to try the same as i did, regarding her severe dehydration/under weight issue.

Get a bowl, and a long blunt/rounded off object to use to crush 2 crickets up. Of course crush them :p. Now once you have done that, use the ever so handy restraint/pinch grab, and hold her upside down....

Use a pipette/syringe/small spoon to suck/pick up a small amount of "cricket soup", and put on her mouth parts... Be sure to get it in her mouth parts well, After the cricket soup has disapeared, get a small drop of water, and put on her mouth parts. and rotate this every 5 - 6 hours (or until all the liquid/food item/s have gone). Do this for 1 day, then give her a "rest/de-stress" period from the ordeal. Try again after 24 hours of resting, and go at it again, keep rotating this, until she begins to show sighns of improvement. If there is no improvement what so ever, then maybe spreading this out abit to allow more time to de -stress from her troubles.

As for the white stuff, i can only but say, keep wipeing it away every time it appears, until you can find a microscope, then as said smeer some on a slide, and have a look ...

Other than that, im stummped

17. Ixithel

Ixithel Arachnosquire

Okay i'll definitely try that :D Is your girl fattened up and eating normally now?

Update: I'm not sure what this means but that crushed roach I gave her? She's really interested in it. She's been in her hide hovering over it and I just looked and she's holding the sac of contained goo but not eating yet. Could this mean she wants to eat but can't or is she thinking about it? Gaaah I should shank the goo sack with a needle so it spills out.

18. gmrpnk21

gmrpnk21 Arachnobaron

Weird! Mine have been okay since I saw that similar white substance a few weeks ago. I guess I am checking them again when I get home. They ate a couple days ago...

19. DamoK21

DamoK21 Arachnosquire

UK
    Yep she sure is :), she has molted twice since then and is doing amazing :)

the fact she has some in her mouth, means alot :), dont worry shell eat it im sure :), if not oready, have a look and see if she has finished eating it. If not then leave her till tomorrow, if it is still there, remove it from her and try what i said :)

really do hope this works out for you, your first is always the one you have that extra "bond" with. Keep us updated on her, your doing a great job :)

20. Ixithel

Ixithel Arachnosquire

Thanks a lot, i'm doing all I can for her. She's my baby and any bite I might get from fussing with her too much will be worth it completely if I can get her healthy again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.