Melly, the G. rosea with a LOT of issues!

Raven9464

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So you personally know it's not nemotoeds? No you don't. I always see you posting untrue stuff on here. You should stop that it makes you look dumb.

Back on topic. If it's gone it could have been poop or webbing. I would just keep a close eye on it.

Matt
REally?, Well thanks for the compliment =) Funny how that white discharge is gone now though huh? I didn't say I knew it wasn't nemotoeds. I SUGGESTED that since it hadn't re-appeared again, that maybe the discharge wasn't anything to worry about. That maybe the more urgent issue was the stress?
If that makes me sound dumb, then oh well. Everyone has their own opinions.....At least I wasn't insulting when I stated mine :?

TO THE OP:

Glad to hear at least that there isn't any more discharge. Sounds to me like you are doing all you can. Hopefully all will clear up and she will eat again soon.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Update- just checked her again. Not very pleased with me, tried to bite me a couple times. Palps moving, fangs bared, angry little rosie but NO white discharge.! :)
If I were you, I would now leave her alone for a good long while - - it appears that you're annoying a perfectly healthy tarantula - lol.

Ixithel

Arachnosquire
Raven9464- I hope so too! I need to fatten that poor thing up when it does decide to eat.

Musicwolf Yeeesss, thats what I was going for....until Melly decided to dirty up the water dish x.x

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is a 3rd possibility in addition to nematodes or fecal matter, which is a fungal/yeast infection of the digestive tract. This can also be lethal. Sorry, but I don't know much about this beyond that it exists and presents similar symptoms (white oral discharge and lethargy)

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Moltar,

Yeah, if the white discharge had dissipated in water, we'd have had an answer to that question as well.

I have never seen these infections, but have read about them. My assumption (and that is all it is) is that bacteria/fungi/yeast infections would be extremely rare in G. rosea.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Uric acid will not dissolve in water readily, so taking some and putting it in water will let you know if it is feces.
In reptiles the white material in feces is uric acid. In spiders it's largely guanine. I don't know what the solubility of guanine is.

Otherwise - I agree that the only way to diagnose nematodes for sure is to put a little of the suspected substance in a drop of water and look for tiny worms. No worms - no nematodes. If it's yeast, as someone else suggested - putting it under a microscope would be very helpful.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Brett, I was just being a smartass;) Some do contain guanine...it is an amino acid(?- my chemistry knowledge is suspect) and has stimulant properties. I was just envisioning some backyard brewer trying to make his own energy drink w/ T poo{D

Bottoms up!

Cuddly Cobalt

Arachnosquire
Brett, I was just being a smartass;) Some do contain guanine...it is an amino acid(?- my chemistry knowledge is suspect) and has stimulant properties. I was just envisioning some backyard brewer trying to make his own energy drink w/ T poo{D

Bottoms up!
they also use bird poo in redbull {D

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In reptiles the white material in feces is uric acid. In spiders it's largely guanine. I don't know what the solubility of guanine is.
I need to hit the lit unless you have a reference handy, as I'm finding mixtures of uric acid and guanine and others via the search engines. Of course fecal material never seems overly soluble to me regardless of the constituents.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some do contain guanine...it is an amino acid(?- my chemistry knowledge is suspect) and has stimulant properties.
It's a nucleoside base - a purine, is one of the four building blocks of DNA (guanine, cytosine, adenine and thymine), and hence is found in all living things. Stimulant properties? Never heard of them. I think you may be confusing guanine with something else.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

I need to hit the lit unless you have a reference handy, as I'm finding mixtures of uric acid and guanine and others via the search engines. Of course fecal material never seems overly soluble to me regardless of the constituents.
In a discussion on the topic either here or on the ATS forum someone brought up the issue about a year ago. I had assumed it was uric acid (my background had been more with reptiles than with arachnids), but someone posted a link to some literature. There were several major constituents, guanine being the highest.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's a nucleoside base - a purine, is one of the four building blocks of DNA (guanine, cytosine, adenine and thymine), and hence is found in all living things. Stimulant properties? Never heard of them. I think you may be confusing guanine with something else.
guarana maybe?

OP: i have had T's with a similar issue, but only when i did not water them for an extensive period of time. they would start "eating" their fecal matter and i would see it on their labium...freak out, water them...they would clean them selves...problem gone. i know this may or may not even be remotely the same thing but currently it looks like i see a ton of anecdotal information and not much solid fact/evidence. lol. oh well.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yup. More acurately guaraná, but that's the "stimulant" that guanine was being confused with. Here's something I copied off an advertisement for guaraná:
If i drank things with Guaraná instead of caffeine would i still get caffeine withdrawl headaches? :?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Yeah Bill, I apparently picked up some bad info. on the interwebs...did a little product search while purchasing my convenience store breakfast & no guanine could be found in the ingredients listing. A little part of me was hoping New Jersey food additive scientists had figured out how to process animal feces into consumables...kinda like the old 80s rumor that landfill materials were being processed into frozen food.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome! Hopefully it was just poop. I am watching two of mine very closely to see if it reappears.

Ixithel

Arachnosquire
G. Rosea---> critical condition *pics*

Hello, if there is one thing i'm going to do is try to save this T. She/he was my first and if there is any possible way to get her through this then I will do whatever I can. So suggesting I put her in the freezer is something i'd like to put on the back burner.

So if you remember me I posted this: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=207641

It was a nematode scare pretty much and eventually the wet stuff went away so I dismissed it as poo or web or something. I tested it in water and saw no wriggly nothing.

It's back, and she's doing worse now.
Melly had always been skinny. I got her from petco and she has never eaten or molted in my care. I'm pretty sure she was a big drinker when I first got her.

I was asking one of my friends because she has taken to the habit of hunching near her dish so I took some pics.

Upon prodding her softly with a brush i noticed this

yes, this

it looks like a shriveled grape. I know she had always been skinny but that is beyond not normal. After bawling my eyes out hysterically I placed her in a well hydrated ICU and left her in the dark until I came home. Before I left her be in a nice quiet dark spot I pinch grabbed her and dripped water onto her mouth parts. She DID drink I'm sure..

Finding her still alive I flipped her over to check on her. Low and behold the white stuff once again!

So I pulled on a bit with tweezers and a chunk came off...She smells, you guys. The T smells like old wet boots that haven't dried properly and the more i pulled and messed with the white gunk the stronger the smell got. It wasn't intense but T's are NOT supposed to smell and that white stuff smells.

I dripped water on it to observe for nematodes, I saw nothing swimming or wriggling.

Finally I let her have enough and placed her on the floor, got an update pic of her shriveled butt. It's tiny...it's almost gross to look at.

Whats wrong with her? What do I do? What more can I do? Help T.T
Oh, and i'd like to rule out nematode infestation and freezing her again.
She's active, spins webs, moves her palps and fangs when crabby. She acts like a normal typical rosie but this is not normal. I think her only hope is getting her to eat...and I don't even...

Fungal infection, Bacterial?

I will be leaving her in the ICU at LEAST until tomorrow when I get up. She will be isolated from my others.

Help me save this T? T____T
One thing i'm going to try is slitting a roach and tempting her with the innards..

Oh and here is Melly last month I reckon. Notice how her abdomen is small, but not shriveled