megaphobema robustum help

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hi
my m. robustum molted about a week ago and is acting sorta weird
when i saw her this morning it appeared she was in a death curl, but when i went to pick up the cage to take a closer look she ran back to her burrow. the weird part is 4 of her feet were still curled under while she was walking, almost like she was walking on her knees. she dosnt seem slow or sluggish at all, in fact if the legs were not curled i would think everything is fine, i checked the skin and it appeared normal. anybody have any ideas what this could be? is it a real death curl or just a deformity?
i haven't tried feeding it yet because it has only been a week and she is about 3" so i will wait about another week or so
thanks for any advice

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hi
my m. robustum molted about a week ago and is acting sorta weird
when i saw her this morning it appeared she was in a death curl, but when i went to pick up the cage to take a closer look she ran back to her burrow. the weird part is 4 of her feet were still curled under while she was walking, almost like she was walking on her knees. she dosnt seem slow or sluggish at all, in fact if the legs were not curled i would think everything is fine, i checked the skin and it appeared normal. anybody have any ideas what this could be? is it a real death curl or just a deformity?
i haven't tried feeding it yet because it has only been a week and she is about 3" so i will wait about another week or so
thanks for any advice

I've seen this before in Megaphobema robustum; I think it's a deformity from having trouble molting. Your T could end up being fine, but it doesn't have to. The best thing you can do right now is not bother it so it doesn't get stressed out. I wish you the best of luck.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a few as well and after every molt when they are bigger I have seen this to one degree or another. She should be fine. Keep her nice and moist and with a big water dish and offer food here in a few days.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thanks for the quick responses
i figured i would leave her alone for a while
at least till its time to feed again
i will update anything that happenes

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I just bought one of these at a local reptile show. She is about 2-3". Pretty spider. I look forward to seeing her as an adult.

timwaters2007

Arachnopeon
my m.robustom 1" does this sometimes, but then you will see it move later on with its legs perfectly normal and spread out. I think these are just weird spiders in general. Mine will run around its enclosure in circles for no apparent reason for like a whole minute, next minute it will be scrunched right up in a corner with its legs at all angles.

If its legs are deformed it should be ok to its next molt at that size anyway.
But i hope that its not deformed and just crazy like mine:}

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i checked on her this morning and she didn't make it.
she just didnt seem right coming out of the molt a week ago.
i want to get another one but i have a few questions.
is this type of thing very common with the robustums, or are they usually easy to keep. she seemed to be doing fine up until the molt. she was digging alot and eating quite a bit as well

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont think its that common. I have a few pairs of these guys and they never have given me any trouble. The always have burrowed into their hides and ate and grown just fine. I dont think you will see this again, and least I hope you dont. And sorry for your loss.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sorry for the loss. pretty spiders and i agree with talkenlate04, you probably won't get another one like this. remember, in a bunch of good apples, there's always a rotten one.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well i checked on her this morning and she didn't make it.
she just didnt seem right coming out of the molt a week ago.
i want to get another one but i have a few questions.
is this type of thing very common with the robustums, or are they usually easy to keep. she seemed to be doing fine up until the molt. she was digging alot and eating quite a bit as well
Sorry for your loss. I'd say your chances are good that you won't see it again. It isn't extremely common, so if you really want another one go for it!