Megaphobema robustum Care and Characteristics

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Who owns a Megaphobema robustum that can share their knowledge about them? On my searches I found some individual comments where I want to gather accurate information.

I own three slings and they seem to be doing fine. I love their appearance. I have read that this variety does not handle environment changes and is very shy. Mine don't seem to be skittish and have never shown defensive stances either. But I don't handle T's or try to nudge mine around - I have only tried to enjoy the view. Mine act like miniature bulldozers. The water dish, the hide, everything is under the substrate somewhere. They are big eaters as well. I have never found an uneaten cricket in the container. This species is growing as a favorite for me.

I was overflowing the water dish so that about half of the substrate would be moist. But I have noticed that all of them seem to be dumping substrate into the water dish a lot so I have exercised care in not letting things get over-damp. I now just constantly check the substrate to insure it is always very moist in one corner. I then expand it periodically to cover at least half of the substrate. This is an important item where I want to make sure I am doing it right. Mine are still slings so I don't know if the rules change for adults. They do seem to like the damp side slightly better.

It seems like these guys may originate from a geographic area where the temperatures are a little cooler (60's as highs - don't know if this is true). Does anyone keep theirs in lower temperatures. Currently mine are in the 70's like my other T's.

I saw a comment where someone stated that urticating hairs on these T's are more of an irritation than your average NW T. I haven't dealt with this issue but will need to do a rehousing after another molt. I want to be prepared.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Lots and lots of inches of moist substrate. A water dish (well... every T's deserve one). A piece of cork bark is IMO suggested. Yeah, I can guarantee you that they hate, as juve/adults, to be rehoused. One Pro is that you can put directly a juvenile into the final enclosure (but again this works with every obligate burrower).

IMO a must have and a very, very, very underestimated NW Theraphosidae.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Here's my female in her burrow. Often they love to take a walk in the open at night time. Incredible "nervous" and shy T's, at the minimum noise they retreat in the burrow.

Overall they will never try to bite you, but to "Kung Fu" kick the hell out of you :)

thumbnail_DSC_0587.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As far as the temperature is concerned, I keep her just like the others. No additional heathing, just the furnace in Winter:
range is Day 23/24° C --- Night (drop) 20° C.

Funny thing, last year Summer we reached here even 35° C (night!) and guess who molted without issues and wasn't even near the water dish, unlike my P.murinus, ah ah? Yeah, M.robustum.

As far as the urticating hairs are concerned, here depends by the single person. Anyway she leaves her hairs everywhere in the substrate as a form of defence against predators, so a nothing and I end with those in fingers when I have to clean/refill the water dish etc

Personally I love that itchy sensation :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Lots and lots of inches of moist substrate. A water dish (well... every T's deserve one). A piece of cork bark is IMO suggested. Yeah, I can guarantee you that they hate, as juve/adults, to be rehoused. One Pro is that you can put directly a juvenile into the final enclosure (but again this works with every obligate burrower).

IMO a must have and a very, very, very underestimated NW Theraphosidae.
I am thinking that an up size in the enclosure will solve the water dish issue for me. But it is like clockwork of the dish being empty burrowed under new substrate the next morning after placement into the container.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It took FOREVER for mine to settle. :oldman:

He just molted recently but every morning, I still see him at the mouth of his burrow. He takes off pretty quick down the hole though when he realizes something's there. :chicken:

He's probably about 3.5+ inches now.

He's been a pretty good eater, with fairly slow growth. He hasn't really burrowed more than maybe 18" length, but went to the bottom of 10" of sub pretty quick.

As far as hairs, they don't seem to bother me much. I notice he likes to kick them all over the tunnel entrance, especially before molt.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Itchy hairs? - hell yes, i get small blisters on my hands from them every single time i mess with their enclosure
Quick on feet and ready to bolt anywhere when disturbed? - hell yes, they escaped terrarium while i was feeding them so many times i stopped counting
Voracious appetite? - hell yes
The most common pose is their butt pointing at you and legs up.
I keep mine without water dish as they always drain it out, so i just flood them twice a month and it works like a charm
Very reclusive with going out of burrow when bigger.
My setup pic:

Bonus booty pic(she never shaves)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Who owns a Megaphobema robustum that can share their knowledge about them? On my searches I found some individual comments where I want to gather accurate information.

I own three slings and they seem to be doing fine. I love their appearance. I have read that this variety does not handle environment changes and is very shy. Mine don't seem to be skittish and have never shown defensive stances either. But I don't handle T's or try to nudge mine around - I have only tried to enjoy the view. Mine act like miniature bulldozers. The water dish, the hide, everything is under the substrate somewhere. They are big eaters as well. I have never found an uneaten cricket in the container. This species is growing as a favorite for me.

I was overflowing the water dish so that about half of the substrate would be moist. But I have noticed that all of them seem to be dumping substrate into the water dish a lot so I have exercised care in not letting things get over-damp. I now just constantly check the substrate to insure it is always very moist in one corner. I then expand it periodically to cover at least half of the substrate. This is an important item where I want to make sure I am doing it right. Mine are still slings so I don't know if the rules change for adults. They do seem to like the damp side slightly better.

It seems like these guys may originate from a geographic area where the temperatures are a little cooler (60's as highs - don't know if this is true). Does anyone keep theirs in lower temperatures. Currently mine are in the 70's like my other T's.

I saw a comment where someone stated that urticating hairs on these T's are more of an irritation than your average NW T. I haven't dealt with this issue but will need to do a rehousing after another molt. I want to be prepared.
my temps for Megaphobema are the same as all my other Ts. i keep mine humid with some cross vent and some holes on top as well. great eaters and quick growers. pretty much a cheaper, more colorful, Pamphobeteus.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
My M. roubustum are getting close to a need for a rehouse so I want to plan for their next enclosure (after their next molt). From what I have read at care sheet sources :rolleyes:, this T can reach 8 inches in length. Is this true? I want my next rehouse to be a final one so they don't get stressed so much. What size enclosure do some of you use for your adults?

EDIT* The 2X length rule as specified by some makes this sound like a pretty huge enclosure need. But I will need to make sure that a plastic tub doesn't have any gap to the lid while the container is over-sized (no escape).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What size enclosure do some of you use for your adults?
Adult female. XL KK, lots of inches of substrate (almost 10), two (ah ah) fake leaves, a piece of cork bark where she disappeared under. Old good water dish.

That's my minimalist set up :-s