Megaphobema on Intensive Care Watch

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
I cannot figure out what is wrong with my Megaphobema Mesomelas sling. It is either stuck in a premolt or has become sickly. I've tried upping the temp (i am aware this species is not suppose to be kept at higher warmth), lowering the temp, increasing humidity and decreasing it. My little guy just seems miserable and I can't figure out why. I discovered him being very inactive four or five days ago. He seems very very weak but can still summon small bursts of energy to "walk" around. Very gently rolling him onto his back results in very weak effort in what seems to be an attempt to roll back over, although he cannot. I'll link a video example

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I cannot figure out what is wrong with my Megaphobema Mesomelas sling. It is either stuck in a premolt or has become sickly. I've tried upping the temp (i am aware this species is not suppose to be kept at higher warmth), lowering the temp, increasing humidity and decreasing it. My little guy just seems miserable and I can't figure out why. I discovered him being very inactive four or five days ago. He seems very very weak but can still summon small bursts of energy to "walk" around. Very gently rolling him onto his back results in very weak effort in what seems to be an attempt to roll back over, although he cannot. I'll link a video example
Megaphobema is a well know & loved genus here. It's not so rare to see Megaphobema mesomelas in fairs, tough i prefer Megaphobema robustum on a personal taste opinion only.
Who said, first, that they need cooler temperatures only? I mean, yes, mine is comfortable on the "cooler" side, but when this last summer we suffered a hot as three hell summer, Lombardy record, with 35° at night time! :eek: she (my 0.1) was perfectly fine (and i was a bit worried) while my OBT was "sleeping" near the water dish! She was perfectly comfortable.

I have heard about how those are hard to breed, hard to keep, hard to find etc but here in Italy, in the Southern part, there's a skilled breeder/enthusiasts who own and breed those... people i know (other long time enthusiasts) own Megaphobema mesomelas.
Being you i would keep the sling at room temperature, without temperature changes, with plenty of slightly moist substrate inches.

cold blood

Staff member
I cannot figure out what is wrong with my Megaphobema Mesomelas sling....I've tried upping the temp (i am aware this species is not suppose to be kept at higher warmth), lowering the temp, increasing humidity and decreasing it.
Being you i would keep the sling at room temperature, without temperature changes
That's a lot of environmental fluctuations. I've never kept the species, but the thoughts of Chris were my thoughts as well.

They sure are beautiful in person, better than the pics I see IMO.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's a lot of environmental fluctuations. I've never kept the species, but the thoughts of Chris were my thoughts as well.

They sure are beautiful in person, better than the pics I see IMO.
Mine 0.1 is "munching" the substrate (love that sound) as i type this just now :kiss: that's an amazing genus... on the NW T's side, there's some killer "cards", and genus Megaphobema is one of those.
Lately i have noticed 0.1 Megaphobema robustum in England for a laughable price. That's good news.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Mine 0.1 is "munching" the substrate (love that sound) as i type this just now :kiss: that's an amazing genus... on the NW T's side, there's some killer "cards", and genus Megaphobema is one of those.
Lately i have noticed 0.1 Megaphobema robustum in England for a laughable price. That's good news.
I picked up a 4 inch one for $70 bucks, I call it flash dance cause it kicks (not hairs, the leg spurs) everything. But I do agree that trying to bounce those temps everywhere is not going to help, it sounds like it is ready to molt as they become very sluggish during this time.

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
I guess I got spooked because I had him with my other slings where the temp is warmer and that is when he became weak, which is when I double checked my research on their care and the majority of what I found cautions against too much warmth. That was the prerequisite to my playing with temps. I don't want to lose my sling. None of the others behave like that in premolt so it caught me off guard and freaked me out. I am watching his condition constantly

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I guess I got spooked because I had him with my other slings where the temp is warmer and that is when he became weak, which is when I double checked my research on their care and the majority of what I found cautions against too much warmth. That was the prerequisite to my playing with temps. I don't want to lose my sling. None of the others behave like that in premolt so it caught me off guard and freaked me out. I am watching his condition constantly
I keep mine (ok, she's an adult and not a Megaphobema mesomelas but a Megaphobema robustum) at room temperature which means in my room Day max 24° (max, uh...) Night (Drop) 19/20°

Now i can only tell you, even if i never owned one (but that's on my list since here aren't that rare) that i would kept just like i keep my 0.1 Megaphobema robustum: lots of always moist substrate inches (lots, they need to burrow) a piece of cork bark, water dish, room temperature. That's what i think IMO is the care for that genus (at least what work pretty well for me).

Good luck man.

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
I keep mine (ok, she's an adult and not a Megaphobema mesomelas but a Megaphobema robustum) at room temperature which means in my room Day max 24° (max, uh...) Night (Drop) 19/20°

Now i can only tell you, even if i never owned one (but that's on my list since here aren't that rare) that i would kept just like i keep my 0.1 Megaphobema robustum: lots of always moist substrate inches (lots, they need to burrow) a piece of cork bark, water dish, room temperature. That's what i think IMO is the care for that genus (at least what work pretty well for me).

Good luck man.
Thanks for the info! I did make sure the soil is pretty moist and he has been moved to strictly room temp. I will add more substrate for burrowing provided his condition improves; it would be seemingly pointless to do now and cause only stress. I've stressed the poor thing out enough already trying to help it out. I'm taking a more hands off approach for now. I'll keep this thread updated for anyone else interested in the results. Thank you for the well wishes!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks for the info! I did make sure the soil is pretty moist and he has been moved to strictly room temp. I will add more substrate for burrowing provided his condition improves; it would be seemingly pointless to do now and cause only stress. I've stressed the poor thing out enough already trying to help it out. I'm taking a more hands off approach for now. I'll keep this thread updated for anyone else interested in the results. Thank you for the well wishes!
Nothing man, those are a great genus. One of the NW class one. And the only NW Theraphosidae genus with three, not two, defensive systems (hairs, bite, rear leg jump kick... sort of "Batman: Arkham" ninja style).
I totally agree with you, to "leave her alone" as the best thing to do.

Greetings

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I picked up a 4 inch one for $70 bucks, I call it flash dance cause it kicks (not hairs, the leg spurs) everything. But I do agree that trying to bounce those temps everywhere is not going to help, it sounds like it is ready to molt as they become very sluggish during this time.
Actually i think that it's (honestly) almost impossible to get bitten by a Megaphobema robustum. I've never seen mine kicking hairs, nor threat display of all sorts. When she's pissed off (happened during a re-house i was forced to do due to her previous, poor maintenance & set up, keeper) she keeps to perform those "jump kicks". Lovely.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I have heard about how those are hard to breed, hard to keep, hard to find etc but here in Italy, in the Southern part, there's a skilled breeder/enthusiasts who own and breed those... people i know (other long time enthusiasts) own Megaphobema mesomelas.
Being you i would keep the sling at room temperature, without temperature changes, with plenty of slightly moist substrate inches.
I wouldn't bet my money on him breeding them ;) Probably just smuggles WC gravid females or sacs and claims he breeds them, like another european 'breeder' who probably hasn't raised a sling from this species, but claims to have bred them. To his dismay, people actually know his tricks.

Keep your M. mesomelas in the 60s range, below 70s with damp substrate and a water dish. They need cool temps. M. robustum can handle 25C+, but M. mesomelas will most likely die on those temps. Not sure about peterklaasi, velvetosoma or teceae.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wouldn't bet my money on him breeding them ;) Probably just smuggles WC gravid females or sacs and claims he breeds them, like another european 'breeder' who probably hasn't raised a sling from this species, but claims to have bred them. To his dismay, people actually know his tricks.
While with no doubts there's people doing what you just said (and i agree) i have seen his Megaphobema mesomelas mating videos.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
While with no doubts there's people doing what you just said (and i agree) i have seen his Megaphobema mesomelas mating videos.
The person I was talking about has mating videos too. Doesn't mean he gets sacs from the females he shows in the mating videos :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The person I was talking about has mating videos too. Doesn't mean he gets sacs from the females he shows in the mating videos :)
Ok. But here i have seen those sold in (authorized) fairs by Italians so... one of the admins of a forum here owns one 0.1 without particular issues.
One of our nation breeders who works not only in Italy when there's those fairs but mostly in Germany (he speak fluent German since he's from the far north region of Italy, one region who share German language and heritage) had those.
Aren't "easy" Theraphosidae at all but it's not even written that they are impossible to care for.

Last edited:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I'm not saying that they can't be taken care of, I'm saying that he's probably not breeding them at all and instead smuggling WC sacs/gravid females. They can definitely be kept, albeit a little less tolerant of errors :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm not saying that they can't be taken care of, I'm saying that he's probably not breeding them at all and instead smuggling WC sacs/gravid females. They can definitely be kept, albeit a little less tolerant of errors :)
Of course i've heard about that (IMO deprecable) practice (to sell slings of WC gravid specimens i mean). Breeders here blamed Germans for that, others blamed the Czech ones, other the Eastern ones etc same story :)
But we shouldn't gave them Angel a bit of... trust? :-O

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't. I know most breeders in the hobby already and know some "secrets" (not very big secrets to be honest for me to know them). People care about the money, they don't care about the way they'll get it with :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wouldn't. I know most breeders in the hobby already and know some "secrets" (not very big secrets to be honest for me to know them). People care about the money, they don't care about the way they'll get it with :)
I know. I've said that in a "romantic" way :) ah ah :mooning:

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
  • Tying it up

The sling died. I'm pretty positive it was just a stuck molt. Can't be helped; it happens. Another one will be in tomorrow. Better luck to this one.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Are you from Europe? I doubt mesomelas are so readily available in the US. Keep the next one in the low 60s and moist :)