Megaphobema mesomelas molt

kevin88

Arachnopeon
I posted this in the sexing gallery but no one has responded. I have a question not only about the sex but of some structures in the photo. The spider is 1" + Megaphobema mesomelas. It seems to have a flap? but if so what are the structures to the left and right of it? Looking for some expert opinions on this one :p

Thanks
Kevin

Attachments

winwin

Arachnoknight
I can't help you with the sexing but i wanna know how long is that sling with you and how many times it molted? Also, at what temps do you keep it? I also have a sling that molted once with me, i keep it around 24-33C.

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the link! There is some good information there for sure. Im still looking for an opinion on my picture though.....

I actually have had the sling since August or September I think. It always has been a picky eater for me which is why it took forever to molt. It would eat one week then stop for a few weeks then resume. It would rarely take roaches, only crickets. Temperature wise....the individual I received it from kept it very warm and so he said not to worry so much about the heat. During the summer things were around 85 degrees F and the spider did fine (previous owner slightly warmer even!) This leads me to wonder if they are mainly temperature sensitive as WC and not so much as CB. Right now temps are 70-75 degrees F and leading up to the molt the thing was still being a picky eater.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the link! There is some good information there for sure. Im still looking for an opinion on my picture though.....

I actually have had the sling since August or September I think. It always has been a picky eater for me which is why it took forever to molt. It would eat one week then stop for a few weeks then resume. It would rarely take roaches, only crickets. Temperature wise....the individual I received it from kept it very warm and so he said not to worry so much about the heat. During the summer things were around 85 degrees F and the spider did fine (previous owner slightly warmer even!) This leads me to wonder if they are mainly temperature sensitive as WC and not so much as CB. Right now temps are 70-75 degrees F and leading up to the molt the thing was still being a picky eater.
I think that's about right about cb being less sensitive to temps. As for the sex, i think it's possible female. I'm not good at looking at small slings though but i think i see a flap. :) mine molted 2 weeks after i recieved it. It's also like that, it would eat, fast for a day or 2 then eat again. After the molt, did it eat better than before?

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you take another shot with the diaphram adjusted to kick out a little less light? The reason I ask is in this shot I am attaching I have traced what looks like the spermatheca, but I think the light is washing out the lines...

kevin88

Arachnopeon
It took a medium cricket today but it never jumps on them like some other spiders. More like let it crawl around and on me for a few hours then eat it.

I actually lost the molt...I left it on the scope and it flew away somewhere. Sorry I wish I did have it still. Thanks for the response.

Kevin

winwin

Arachnoknight
It took a medium cricket today but it never jumps on them like some other spiders. More like let it crawl around and on me for a few hours then eat it.

I actually lost the molt...I left it on the scope and it flew away somewhere. Sorry I wish I did have it still. Thanks for the response.

Kevin
Mine is unpredictable in feeding, sometimes it gets jumpy and chase the food and wrestle with it, sometimes it just waits and grabs the food...