Meet Harley Quinn. My beautiful tri coloured hognose snake.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Miss Harley Quinn is a proper lady. She doesn't talk with her mouth full, so happy World Snake Day.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
@basin79 are they a good species? As in easy to care for like ball pythons? I know some snakes have harder time taking F/T feeders.

My son has been wanting a hognose for a while now.

basin79

ArachnoGod
@basin79 are they a good species? As in easy to care for like ball pythons? I know some snakes have harder time taking F/T feeders.

My son has been wanting a hognose for a while now.
They're cracking snakes. Easy to care for but to be honest set up right, and they should be you rarely see them. Sort of like the tarantula version of a pet hole. A few inches of substrate, a damp hide and a water dish. Although not sure if the other species of hogs need a damp hide.

Also remember that hogs are rear fanged venomous. Granted their venom isn't potent but plenty have had adverse reactions to their venom.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
They're cracking snakes. Easy to care for but to be honest set up right, and they should be you rarely see them. Sort of like the tarantula version of a pet hole. A few inches of substrate, a damp hide and a water dish. Although not sure if the other species of hogs need a damp hide.

Also remember that hogs are rear fanged venomous. Granted their venom isn't potent but plenty have had adverse reactions to their venom.
They are an amazing looking snake. Yes I knew about the rear fangs, I have always heard that they have to chew on you to get venom in you. Is this true? Or can a simple bite be enough for injection?

basin79

ArachnoGod
They are an amazing looking snake. Yes I knew about the rear fangs, I have always heard that they have to chew on you to get venom in you. Is this true? Or can a simple bite be enough for injection?
I'd guess, and it is a GUESS a bite would be enough to get some in as they're applying pressure when they're biting. If left they're start chewing and more will be fired in. But like I typed that's a guess on my part.

Harley has only bitten me once when she was younger and I very gently removed her off my finger. Didn't have any reaction. I use a snake hook for her now or she'd nail me every time ha ha ha.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Bloody hell fire it's been ages since I updated this thread. Miss Harley Quinn tucking into her F/T mouse.
690DA531-1871-4F16-9AFE-3A19C0A1B084.jpeg