Meet Boop

gobey

Arachnoknight
Since I was a little kid the pet I always wanted was a snake.

My mother would never have it.

Ended up getting a tarantula a few years back to kind of satisfy that exotic animal urge since I don't need my parents permission to make my life choices any more lol.

I figured tarantulas were always cool too and seemed even easier to care for.

Of course after getting into Ts I learned about misconceptions with them. Being handleable and the like etc.

Now I still love my Ts. I have 15.

But I finally just decided I needed my snake.

Looked at readily available smaller sized docile snakes.

Decided on a ball python.

Found a beautiful one at a small pet shop.

Got the setup ready.

And it's been happily living in its new home with me.

And is super super gentle.

It's a little timid (a baby) but not nippy or defensive. And calms down pretty quick.

This is little Boop. And Boop is everything I wanted a snake to be.

0501172114a.jpg

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yay! Congrats on your new snake.
Thanks

I love it so much already

I've looked at how to sex them but don't feel comfortable doing so myself.

I'll wait until I either find a qualified vet or a reptile show comes around

Going to try to feed it tonight

gobey

Arachnoknight
0504171159.jpg Took some frozen thawed food last week thankfully!

I've heard 50/50 as to whether you should feed them in a separate box like this or not.

I know the store was.

Suggestions?

basin79

ArachnoGod
View attachment 239753 Took some frozen thawed food last week thankfully!

I've heard 50/50 as to whether you should feed them in a separate box like this or not.

I know the store was.

Suggestions?
I've always just placed newspaper down over the substrate in their enclosure or fed them in a shallow tub in their enclosure.

That way you stop any/most of the sub from being eaten (in the wild they eat twigs, leaves off the floor but this isn't the wild) and you don't have to handle them straight after feeding.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
View attachment 239753 Took some frozen thawed food last week thankfully!

I know the store was.

Suggestions?
I tried both ways with my ball python. I found she accepted prey on one half of her enclosure with tongs, which was easier than taking her out and feeding her in a separate tank. She also seemed to prefer feeding in her familiar environment. I think it depends on the specimen being kept...

keks

Arachnobaron
I fed my snake on the top of the hide (or with tweezers). I had built a hide with two roots and a bark piece . On top of that I laid down the (dead) mouse. After a minute the snake smelt the mouse and was crawling through the enclosure to find it.
No substrate on the mouse, and I could watch it eating without handling. Not that the snake was a nasty one (it was Lichanura trivirgata, and an absolute docile snake), but I always prefered to leave it in its enclosure. It was a little bit spooky.