Meet "Baby" !

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
convincing photos

See this pic for a convincing photo:

www.flickr.com/photos/14734284@N02/4720718851/

Note: She is a little curled up towards the tail. When extended, counting the head antenna and tail legs extended, she is a just over 13". We put her in a long plastic tube to accurately mark her length.

Forget her length for a second though. It's her girth that is so impressive. She is very heavy. I've seen S. gigantea 9"-12" before back in the late '90s, but this girl is fat. "Baby" got back. :)

As for other pedes with big sizes, we all hear the rumors of stuff being massive, but no pics of these rumors. I've seen thousands of centipedes over the last 25+ yrs. and the biggest ones that I've personally seen and/or seen a pic with measurement proof are the following:

Scolopendra gigantea "black morph", 16" (there are many reports of this pede getting to 14"-16" and even larger)
Scolopendra gigantea "white-legged morph", 13"
Scolopendra gigantea "orange-legged morph" 12"
Scolopendra galapagoenis 12" (a scientist told me of a larger one on some islands off the Ecuadorian coast though)
Scolopendra s. dehaani "Yunnan Giant", 10.5"
Scolopendra s. dehaani "Chinese Giant Orange" 10.5"
Scolopendra s. dehaani "yellow-legged morph" 10"
Scolopendra alternans "Haitian Giant" (honey bee color morph), 10"
Scolopendra s. subspinipes "Chinese Giant Tiger Leg" 9.25"
Scolopendra s. dehaani "orange-legged morph" 9"
Scolopendra s. subspinipes "Solomon Island Mahogany Giant", 9"
Scolopendra mutidens "Chinese Beauty" 8.75"

NOTE: In the last 10 yrs., many hobbyists said they had the Scolopendra s. dehaani "yellow-legged morph" (goes under Mai Chau Giant and Vietnamese Giant names sometimes) of being 11"-12", but when they posted pics and/or I saw them and measured them, they did not exceed 9". I've had one that was a solid 10". This just goes to show how people can add a few inches onto their big pede.

I won't list anything under 8.75". As I don't consider those "giants". Of course, there will be different opinions, reports of owing something big, rumors of seeing something big and of course the fisherman tall-tales of adding a few inches to something that was seen, BUT post the pics with a ruler if you want it to be included in the "giant centipede club" at this NEW thread:

www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1680279#post1680279

Last edited:

super-pede

Arachnobaron

Any centipedes over 11", I'd like to see good pics of.
I'd like to see a good pic of Baby next to some tape measure that proves she is 13 inches and proof that she is the largest centipede in the USA.Do you have proof?No?I didn't think so.
U seem to own or have owned every sigle pede available, not to mention those viridicornis and galapagoenis u "got" now. Any pics available?
Ten years of me and my brother and our friends collecting centipedes.There are still many species of Scolopendrids that we do not own but wish to have like gigantea.We no longer own the viridicornis.We traded it off a while back for some scorps and 600$.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
linked pic

>I'd like to see a good pic of Baby next to some tape measure that proves she is 13 inches and proof that she is the largest centipede in the USA.Do you have proof?No?I didn't think so.

Are you looking at the linked pic reference above? Are you looking at the blue ruler in the video?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks about 11" judging by the picture. But either way, thats one nice looking pede man.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
measurement

11" yes without the heat antenna and tail legs. Add those, 13".

Big girl, whichever way you chose to measure.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Are you looking at the linked pic reference above? Are you looking at the blue ruler in the video?
That is a bad pic.Sorry.
I still don't see any proof that she is the largest centipede in the US.You might be able to prove that she is 13" but not the largest.When did Nat.Geo measure her?

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
11" yes without the heat antenna and tail legs. Add those, 13".

Big girl, whichever way you chose to measure.
Most people that keep centipedes (that I know, including myself) measure body length, not including antennae and terminal legs. They can make just about any Scolopendrid appear larger.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
post the pics

Bad pic? huh?

>You might be able to prove that she is 13" but not the largest.

Not the largest ever, but currently in captivity in the U.S.

IF there is another one larger, myself and others are awaiting the pics. Let's see them. I hear a lot of talk, but nobody is posting pics.

This thread is about a very big S. gigantea. Seems there are a few posting here (that are connected to each other I'm sure) that want to hijack this thread and finding something negative to say. Sign of the times in the last few years on the discussion forums. It turns a lot of people off.

I see a few individuals posting negatively on this thread, but I see no pics. Nothing. Without the pics, the words, opinions, rumors of big sized-pedes - mean...nothing.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Bad pic? huh?

>You might be able to prove that she is 13" but not the largest.

Not the largest ever, but currently in captivity in the U.S.

IF there is another one larger, myself and others are awaiting the pics. Let's see them. I hear a lot of talk, but nobody is posting pics.

This thread is about a very big S. gigantea. Seems there are a few posting here (that are connected to each other I'm sure) that want to hijack this thread and finding something negative to say. Sign of the times in the last few years on the discussion forums. It turns a lot of people off.

I see a few individuals posting negatively on this thread, but I see no pics. Nothing. Without the pics, the words, opinions, rumors of big sized-pedes - mean...nothing.
You are avoiding my question.

When did Nat.Geo. measure your centipede?(exact date please)When did they start they're search for the largest centipede and when did it end?
You still can't prove that she is the largest in the US.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is funny...both sides asking for pics and I only see Xenethis actually posting anything. Anyways, nice pede, man. That thing is a beast! I'd measure the antennae and terminal legs, too--it's part of the pede, why wouldn't you?

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Rick

Rick,

What the hell? Again, do you ever have anything to post positive? Ever?

That's not a dubia.

IF I used your measuring technique and listed it at 11", knowing you and your agenda, you'd still have something negative to say, right?

Another thread messed up by the trolls and negative people that have nothing better to do.

95% of the people on this thread would like to talk about big centipedes, S. gigantea and remark about their beauty and size. The other 5% just want to start crap and say something negative because the power of the keyboard and internet allows them too. They get off on it. Sad.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, I know this guy who's cousin dates this chick from Kalamazoo. Well, that chick's best friend's boyfriend went to an expo once where he met this one vendor who said he knows a guy who's brother had a 14.5" S. gigantea "plaid leg morph". It's very rare. So rare in fact that nobody I've ever spoken with (except that guy) has ever even heard of it!!!

So sorry, none of the pede's you guys mention are records. Deal wif it.

Anyway, that is an incredible specimen, Xenesthis. Thanks for sharing. Have you tried feeding it a live piglet yet?

I'm a bit disappointed that nobody even gave me the tiniest lol on this. Sheesh... lighten up you guys. Myria-people are so serious!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Todd, Nice pede. Is she handleable? I'm guessing no. I haven't gone there yet but may get one eventually. My lps has a big subspinipes for 20 bucks.

I caught a Scolopendra around 6-7" in 2000 near Zapata, Tx. Freaked me the heck out!! We got a couple of pics, then released it. Very bity thing but I didn't let it connect :embarrassed:. I've been bit by our tiny local species here in nw La. on many occasions. The bite leaves you with a tingly itch that surprisingly is kinda pleasant. I would seriously doubt that about the big ones.

Btw, :mad: haters need to stay off the board and let everyone else enjoy. Chill :cool:

Cheers, :)

Terry

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
heros

>Is she handleable?

Yes (but not recommend). She is not high-strung at all, but her fangs are HUGE and she is to be respected. :)

>I caught a Scolopendra around 6-7" in 2000 near Zapata, Tx. Freaked me the >heck out!! We got a couple of pics, then released it. Very bity thing but I >didn't let it connect . I've been bit by our tiny local species here in nw La. on >many occasions. The bite leaves you with a tingly itch that surprisingly is >kinda pleasant. I would seriously doubt that about the big ones.

6"-7" is considered a large heros by most people's standards. Kinda pleasant? Haha.

>Btw, haters need to stay off the board and let everyone else enjoy.

Exactly.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Admin note:

To the both of you .....

Quit the crap and take it to PM. Seriously, not another word, I mean it! :mad:

Debby
Okay ... looks like I need to not only reiterate, but extend to a few others as well. :rolleyes:

Let me put it to you all this way, if all that are involved in the crap don't quit it and take it to PM, people will end up suspended for a month. This also includes replying to the crap. :embarrassed:

THIS is the last warning. Get it now? (rhetorical, NOT meant for any actual replies). :wall:

Debby

PS- As Mister Internet said, beautiful pede. ;)

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Todd, did you special order her or did she come in with one of your imports?

Beautiful 'pede, by the way.

I need to buy a couple of them at the next show. :)

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Baby's visit

"Baby" is getting baby-sat this week and then exported.

She was CB in Germany. She was imported at 4" around 2004. I bought her from Frank Somma then. Sold to Pete K. two years later. Pete sold it to Glades Herp. two years ago. GH sold it to Nat. Geographic. They gave it to GH when they were done with their filming of her and I bought her this week. She is being exported to Asia next week. So, she is quite famous now. :)

No wild-caught S. gigantea have been imported into the U.S. since 2000. A rare CB import from Germany happened in 2004.

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
"Baby" is getting baby-sat this week and then exported.

She was CB in Germany. She was imported at 4" around 2004. I bought her from Frank Somma then. Sold to Pete K. two years later. Pete sold it to Glades Herp. two years ago. GH sold it to Nat. Geographic. They gave it to GH when they were done with their filming of her and I bought her this week. She is being exported to Asia next week. So, she is quite famous now. :)

No S. gigantea have been imported into the U.S. since 2000.
Hi Todd, Im a bit confused , you say none were imported since 2000, but say "Baby" was an import in 2004? Do you mean no wild ones from there countries of origin were imported since 2000?

I got a couple of 4 inches from Frank as well in 2004, but mine unfortunately didn't do so well. Were they really captive bred in Germany , or did some German collect them and export to the U.S. ?:? Not that it matters to me, just curious.

Is there a youtube clip anywhere of the footage Nat. Geo. filmed of it?

Later, Tom