Meet...aw crap, I don't know its name, another critter was dropped in my lap.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Ive just seen this post and read the whole thing, shame about the tail but it's a great story. Good stuff

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I*'m resurrecting this thread to bring some bad news. That gecko, which I absolutely adored. escaped. It was an error on my part. I had kept it in a tank set on end since it reached maturity. Clamps held the lid onto the vertical tank.

Well, a few months ago, I was doing animal maintenance and made the mistake of setting the tank on my bed while i tended to my snake.After finishing, I returned it to its regular place. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Until I looked closely later. "Where's the gecko?" It was only then that I noticed that the clamp at the bottom end of the tank had popped loose. The cause? Undoubtedly, the weight of the tank cause the bottom end to "sink" a bit, forcing the clamp to come loose, leaving a gap at the bottom. Not sure how I failed to notice it when I put the tank back, but I did.

Naturally, I searched and searched, but to no avail. A lost terrestrial is hard enough to locate, and an arboreal loss is a whole other situation. it could have been under, behind, up or down, etc. And there are somethings that could not be easily moved. Given that I only discovered it a good while after the fact did not help. I watched and listened for it for weeks, before sadly reaching the reality that while it may have been able to survive on any free-range crickets, hydration was the big problem. So I committed to the fact that the poor girl, I had thought it to be male until it began laying eggs) was more than likely deceased.
I was devastated..And felt like an idiot. For weeks whenever i heard any sort of sound after going to bed, i got up and looked around.
Man, I miss that lizard.

So last month, I had an opportunity to get another one. My boss had given me a 20 dollar gift card, and my relatives had given me 40 dollars. So, i purchased another one, several months had gone by, and I felt it was time. needless to say, its enclosure will only be sat on solid surfaces.. Here is a photo of it as it is now, about a month and a half later. I always have fond memories of my gal, but have (sort of) stopped beating myself up over it. But I still kind of fantasize that maybe someday i will spot it, but I think that is unrealistic at this point.

Not a great shot, I took it hand held without a flash, so it is a bit grainy.

m_IMG_0025crop.jpg