Mechanical Mom take 2

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Next time somebody makes one of these it would be awesome to see a video tutorial of the steps that they took.

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinking of the same concept before but never this awesome. :clap::clap:

You could make money out of this idea :razz:

Very awesome! I wouldn't mind buying one.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Holy technical thingy Batman! :eek:

That looks really.. um.. complicated? lol - says the person who only knows about trucks and nothing else at all even remotely machine related.

Very cool!

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
NEW design for rotation.

I was never really satisfied with the whole 1 rot/24hrs.

I would assumed the real life situation is more like:
- periods of no motion
- small periods of massage/moving/rotating the sac.

This new mechanism will rotate the sac for brief periods (30min with this model timer) a few times per day.
I use a Grill Rotisserie motor. and standard outdoor timer.
I made the Plexi mount
The Nail will be replaced with something more suitable very soon.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was never really satisfied with the whole 1 rot/24hrs.
You have to remember though, just because the chamber makes one full rotation every 24 hours does not mean the sac only rotates once every 24 hours. The sac should make several partial turns throughout the day, most likely rotating more than once in a 24-hour period.

That being said, I don't think you could really 'over-rotate' the sac either (unless it's a constant tumbling), so your modification may very well be an improvement.

Looks good, let us know how it turns out. :)

--Joe

Nerri1029

Old Timer
It was more an improvement in the sense of durability/dependability.
The timers aren't exactly meant for heavy rotational weights. The timer on the MM in the first pics had issues.

The weight capacity for these motors is hundreds of times greater than it needs to be. I had even thought of using a rheostat to change the rotating speed, but that is likely overkill.

I bought two motors and will be making one for myself this time :)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You have to remember though, just because the chamber makes one full rotation every 24 hours does not mean the sac only rotates once every 24 hours. The sac should make several partial turns throughout the day, most likely rotating more than once in a 24-hour period.

That being said, I don't think you could really 'over-rotate' the sac either (unless it's a constant tumbling), so your modification may very well be an improvement.

Looks good, let us know how it turns out. :)

--Joe
You are correct joe, mine turns the sac every 1/4th turn so it turns 24X in 24 hours...6 full rotations x 4 = 24.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You are correct joe, mine turns the sac every 1/4th turn so it turns 24X in 24 hours...6 full rotations x 4 = 24.
How much money do these things cost Rob? They cost some IMO and it looks a little confusing to me lol

2g33k4u

Arachnopeon
Question about the safety.

Is it safe to have all that electrical stuff inside it with the humidity? I as this because I used to do salt water stuff and a slight mist was enough to get you zapped. I think it would probably be safer to have the power box and stuff on outside and have as little as possible inside like the heater which is designed for water. Just a thought based on experience I have with electronics and moisture. Perhaps put the electronics on a closeable cabinet on outside so it is still easily transportable.

Nerri1029

Old Timer
The current setup has only the light bulb, the thermostat and the aquarium heater in the chamber. The rest is outside.

Plus salt water mist has plenty of ions floating around, condensed pure water has fewer ions much less chance of conducting.

HotPocket

Arachnopeon
That is awesome! you good sir could have a very profitable design. I give you mad props for that contraption!:clap:

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Mech Mom take 4

Here is the latest "design" it's very similar to the last but has some neat upgrades and refinements.

Most electrical is outside the chamber with cords running through the 3/8" plexi.
In this picture you can see the:
- rotisserie motor,
- the outdoor timer that turns on the motor 30 minutes at a time 4 x per day
- the aquarium pump
- 6x outlets
- back of the thermostat

- thermostat and circ fan

- variable opening vent
- in case humidity climbs to high, placed in front of the circ fan

- humidifier ( air stone and tank heater set at 78*F )
- plenty of ventilation holes for the humid air to escape

- sac containers x4
- these can be removed down to 1 container and the support adjusted to fit.

- the knob loosens the support which can flip around to get even closer to the motor when fewer sacs are in

- these are the sac containers
- you can see the square drive peg at the far right of the pic

- here is the 40W bulb as a heater, could easily be changed to a 60W if the ambient temp requires.
- this is controlled by the thermostat
- the bulb is shielded so as not to over heat the plexi

It all get's closed up tight with these automatic draw tight "thingies"

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks. Wow, never knew those existed. Seriously Thats a very good idea. Looked up a random one* (from that link provided) and see that it rotates 3 to 8 times per minute. Great idea and definately a very good upgrade.

To be honest with you when I saw the name I did think of rotation motor in the style of a rotisserie but my mind thought about a timer.. lol.

*Reference: Heres the link I clicked on to get that info. http://rotisseriemotor.org/

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Old Timer
For those interested, the base is a poplar board heat sealed with paraffin wax.
I used a small flat iron to melt the wax into the fibers of the wood, making it practically impervious to water = less likely to warp.