Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Mechanical Mom take 2

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Nerri1029, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

Advertisement
    It's been a few years since I built the first one.

I was asked to build one for someone recently. I was given a generous budget.

Here are some pics. PLEASE feel free to critique comment or question.

It's on the large side, but that makes it easier to stabilize temps and humidity.
    [​IMG]

The main plug and power sources, everything is modular and can be replaced or swapped. The final version will have a slightly smaller aquarium pump.
    [​IMG]

The humidification device. The aquarium heater warms the water to 78*F, the two hoses force air into the water and bubble out moist air.
    [​IMG]

The heating system consists of an outlet controlled by the thermostat you see. the bulb is a 40W, I'm thinking a 60 would be betterr. [​IMG]

This can handle two sacs at once. the second container is supported buy the pulleys.
    [​IMG]

Monitoring device :) can keep track of max and min
    [​IMG]

2. dnwise85

dnwise85 Arachnopeon

very interesting. if this hobby keeps getting bigger you may have to patent that! if you do let me know. i have similiar ideas that i am currently working on that i will eventually attempt to patent myself...

3. violentblossom

violentblossom Arachnoknight

Hey, that's pretty neat! It looks complicated, I could never pull something like that off! Bravo. :clap:

You smarty pants, you.

4. Out of curiosity what did that cost to build? Looks awesome!

5. Nerri1029

Hmm

Let's see.

Aquarium Heater - $20 ( self regulating )
    Container for water - $8
    Aeration stones - $2
    Hose - $3
    3 x Wiring boxes - $6
    Main cord - $8
    Outdoor Timer - $10
    2X Outlets - $6
    2 to 6 outlet - $5
    40W light bulbs - $4
    2x outlet to Light fixture - $4
    Aquarium Pump - $14
    Hinges - $6
    Angle iron for joints - $12
    Thermostat - $20
    2x supports for 2nd sac holder - $4

Various stuff I had already:
    Thermo/Hygro
    1/4 inch plexi
    nuts and bolts
    stoppers
    latches ( not pictured - not installed yet )
    Wiring stuff.

It was challenging and loads of fun to make.
    But then this is what I enjoy/ do at work.

6. What is it that does the rotating? Some sort of motor?

7. xhexdx

xhexdx ArachnoGod Old Timer

Pretty sure it's the outdoor timer.

Nice MM, Mike. :)

8. Mvskokee

Mvskokee Arachnobaron Old Timer

Man thats awesome.

9. Very inovative... i like how its so intricate.... a plus on the design!!!

10. PrimalTaunt

PrimalTaunt Arachnobaron

That looks simply amazing! Great job.

11. TalonAWD

TalonAWD Arachnoprince Old Timer

That looks really good. I love building stuff!!! Excellent work. I would love to make one of those.

How fast does the timer spin? As slow as a clocks second hand?

12. xhexdx

It could potentially spin slower than that. I have one that makes one full rotation every 24 hours.

13. TalonAWD

I'm really considering making this. Would you say this is one of the best methods, better than the incubator setups that are simple designs? (hammock style in a box)

14. xhexdx

In my opinion, these are better for sacs that you don't want mom to have, period. This way, you just stick the sac in, and it'll rotate them for you so you don't have to worry about the fluids not being absorbed evenly.

Of course, the hammock method is obviously successful, and much cheaper than this.

15. TalonAWD

What I like about this is the fact that everything is automated; humidity and heat. I would leave the sac with mom for 30 days and then put sac in the mechanical mom so they can emerge. That was my thinking.

16. xhexdx

You could do that. Or you could just take it from mom from the get-go. :}

17. robc

robc Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Mine are usually eegs with legs by then, I would use this to take the sac from SP that are know to eat them...take it at 5 days and put in, take it out at 30 days...I need one of these for sure.

Awesome!!:clap::clap::clap:

18. micheldied

micheldied Arachnoprince

thats just amazing!
    very good job!:clap:

19. TalonAWD

Nerri1029 How is the unit ventilated. Is it closed off completely from outside air?

How is humidity regulated? Do you leave the air pump on all the time so that humidity constantly is released?

20. Nerri1029

Since the pump draws in fresh ( dry ) air constantly and the heater dries the air too, the equilibrium is met.

There are vents and the unit is not entirely sealed (yet)
    I had it operating in sub 20% humidity and it held 85% almost sealed off.

if the vents are opened or the lid propped even the slightest the humidity drops. The amount of air going into the water can be changed ( one stone vs. two ) or even a valve to control the volume of air.

here's one of the vents the other is larger and can be seen in the first pic.
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.