Measurements and Feeding

El Pistolero GL

Arachnopeon
I have two questions so please bare with me. First, in sites that sell T's, and in some posts here, what do they mean when they say X number of inches? From the tip of what to the other tip of what? And secondly, I am considering buying a T that is said to be 1" and was wondering if I should feed it normal sized crickets or smaller ones, since my LPS has both. What is the cutoff into bigger food? Thanks

LV-426

Arachnobaron
first, a T is measured from diagonally from the #4 leg to the opposite #1 leg. second, you dont want to give a T a cricket more than half the length of its bodt if i am not mistaken

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
There are several ways that are used to measure T's, but the way that the last poster mentioned is the most common method.

I wouldn't feed a 1" sling a full grown cricket. More than likely, the sling would run away from it anyway. I generally try to feed something about the length of the opisthoma/abdomen.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've always heard no larger than the abdomen, and the TKG(Tarantula Keepers Guide) backs that up I believe.
Unless the T is emaciated or obese, the proportions are going to be pretty close to similar. I've given a .5" T a half-grown cricket. I didn't realize how big it was, and when I tried to take it away...mr.tarantula was NOT cooperative.

Last edited:

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unless the T is emaciated or obese, the proportions are going to be pretty close to similar. I've given a .5" T a half/grown cricket. I didn't realize how big it was, and when I tried to take it away...mr.tarantula was NOT cooperative.
lol

And ok, different wording for the same thing. I think no larger than the abdomen is a little clearer.

But in saying that I've seen full grown Ts with tiny abdomens.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd use diameter of carapace as a method of determining prey size. The size of the abdomen can fluctuate too much, but the carapace diameter remains constant until the next molt.

As stated, tarantulas are generally measured diagonally from the tip of Leg I to the tip of the opposite leg IV, when the spider is in a relaxed position.

You can always e-mail the seller and ask them how they measure, so you know what to expect.