Measure your centipede thread !

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay folkes !
I'm tired of all the hype on how big certain centipedes are claimed to reach. I am interested in the big guys. Due to the fact that Gigantea is not available to us US collectors please post some photos of the biggest you have !! I would be curious to who has the biggest in body diameter too!!

diggem out and show their stuff........don't get bit.

Thanks !!

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm, who has brass ones big enough to throw a tape measure around a large pede? That I'd like to see (I think). :(

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe pictures that include objects that are of known size for comparison, like a pencil, etc. Or just have a ruler in the cage so we can visually estimate the size.

Wade

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Wade said:
Maybe pictures that include objects that are of known size for comparison, like a pencil, etc. Or just have a ruler in the cage so we can visually estimate the size.
Wade
What's wrong with holding your pede against a ruler ? :p :p :p

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey, you're the one with giganteas, try it and let us know how it goes ;)

Wadew

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks guys.....I just wanted proof that they have a large one with a photo next to something with scale. I did not anyone to do something foolish and get bit. I saw a large Gigantea at a Portland show in February. It was about 9 inches not counting the rear legs and antennas but was not big in diameter....about the size of a lead pencel.
I saw a photo of a huge virnicornis in someone's hand on Mark Lucas' web site.....never seen one that big.

Bob

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Wade said:
Hey, you're the one with giganteas, try it and let us know how it goes ;)
Wadew
i'll post pictures next week (if i survive ;) )

PS: i don't have adults,...
all are still subadults,.. so it won't be a prob. :p ;)

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a chinese giant that is 100% 13 inches or more now she is on eggs now but when shes off them i will get a good pic for you guys there is a pic of her on my site shes the purpel one with red legs

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've heard conflicting things about that picture you are talking about on Mark Lucas' web site on the yahoo millipede & ATS groups. Many feel it's a very well done hoax by the shadows and grip it appears to have on his fingertip. Things like how very costly a beast of that size would be etc cause doubts.

I personally only know that no way would I ever be that brave, even if under the influence of extremely potent chemicals. :eek: :eek:

Oh, in case anyones not seen the pic...

http://markmlucas.com/images/invertabrates/amazon giant 1.jpg

BTW... why is this side of the hobby considered the darkside? Millipedes aren't intimidating at all, and centipedes are only a little more "creepy/weird" than keeping tarantulas and scorpions

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mendi,
I think the Darkside reference comes from the fact that if you are bit and envenomated by a large centipede the usuall reaction is one of wishing you'd never been born. Or worse yet the thought enters your mind to cut off the offending and damaged limb. Also the pain is not controlable by even large amounts of morphine and there have been a few trustworthy stories to coroberate this.
Now I am not trying to scare any one away from the hobby but every one should keep this in mind with the larger species and act accordingly.
I love my 10" Dr. Evil but do I pet him? NO! I don't even ever try to have my hand within 11"s of him. That's what tongs are for. :cool:
Lastly, millipedes are in my opinion the nicest most harmless of the giant insects. I love mine to death and do hold one or two when the occasion arises. Even my wife is willing to hold one every so often. They are in a word awsome. {D

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks LaRiz.......that's what daddy likes !!!!

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Thanks J, for helping me understand why centopedes are on darkside. I still have a tendancy to feel the darkside would be keeping creatures that actually can kill, but a pain level of 13 on a scale of 1-10 can also lead to that. I've made sure that my fingers stay way away from mine and all I've got at the moment is an S.heros castaniceps... with 16" tongs and a mini snake hook. Should be fine unless it decides to run up either of them

@Lariz it surely looks many times more imposing while you held the tube, where it didn't seem that impressive by the rule. What a great way to show it. I'm gonna have to get me a tube like that so I can see just how big "nightmare" is

I might have to get me another pede sometime soon :)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a photo you have seen before, but i thought i'd post it again. It is a pic of my deceased vietnamese subspinipes, it measured about 9" at the time of its death.

Dan.

Attachments

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a pic of Dr. Evil eating a large cricket next to a U.S. penny. The cricket is obscoured but I love the pose he takes when really eating fast and furious. {D
The pic with the penny is not quite true color as I changed it slightly to get rid of some glare but the other is as good as my camera gets through glass. As you can see he is as thick in the middle as the penny. As far as getting him into a tube? I don't think so. But the measure is about 10". :}

Last edited:

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Hells Teeth J !!!
Are you lacing the Dr's chow with steriods?He just gets bigger and bigger.Thought he looked big and bulky last time you posted pics of him.That is one happy,healthy looking subspinipes. ;)
George