mean mean MEAN

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just wondering, a question to all of you, what is th meanest species of tarantula you have ever kept? thanks.

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my pamphobeteus fortis has been my "meanest" out of all my haplopelmas, my poecilotheria, all of them.

-Jeremy

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mean???

For me there are no "mean" T's.

Just more or less defensive depending of nature of that particular speicemen

These animals defend themsleves as any other animal would do if they get "pressured" into a corner, but they rather run and hide.

For example, the P.Murinus sp. ( Usambara), that one will defend it's grounds very fast compared with a Versicolor, but they are not mean, they defend themsleves.
A versicolor will also defend itself after awhile, but probably go for a run away.
I was holding back towards getting more defensive speices before, but now when I have some of them, the so called "mean" ones,, they don't really seem more "mean" than the so called " docile" ones.

My Chaco, 6 inches and she's a sweety, but she has also got "pouty" a couple of times with legs up in the air leg like an Usambara mode.

I woulds say that it is more reason to say that to find out what T's has a "longer" or "short" temperament before it defend itself.:)

"Mean" , no,,they don't want to tag you for being mean for the heck of it , just for defense IMHO.:)

Forgot: Humans can be really "mean"

Kenny

Last edited:

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't really have any mean tarantulas.

But my T. blondi and P. murinus come closest to being mean.

But neither one of them are really all that bad. It's more like they're terrified than mean.

Whenever I disturb them, the first thing they do is run away. They only try to bite me after I refuse to leave them alone.

They are a bit quicker to fight than my other spiders, but I can't really call them mean.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My 3.5" juv. male A. geniculata does not hesitate to defend its turf, by rearing up, stridulating, and then pouncing on anything close to it (usually its water bowl). it also pounces(jumps?) to the top of its container if i accidentally breath into its container, sinking its fangs into the mesh/cheesecloth, pretty entertaining!

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aggressive?

There are many degrees of aggression.

I define the term "aggression" as an outward, unproved action towards another.

T's act out only when provoked (by touch or sight), when their space in invaded.

There is aggressive defensive postures: King Baboons, Guyana Skeletons (stand and deliver behavior).

Outward aggressive behaviour: Cobalt Blues, Sun Tigers, Puerto Rican Pygmy, Pampho. vespertinus, animals that rear up when you touch their environments.

Selenocosmia dichromata and Red Feather Legs get my votes for most outwardly aggessive, the one most likely to "chase me around the room" when provoked. Triple Threats: Fast, Tree Climbers, and Potent venom.

and the most aggressive of all, hands down: my exgirlfriend.

N-Joy
Art

T

Tarantula

Cyriopogopus paganus are mean spiders. THe males and females never hesitate to hiss and strike no matter what happens. My Usumbara was real mean but has tamed itself lately.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H. minax

New years eve.... 2 am.... i'm drunk and have a couple people over....

they ask what the meanest spider i have is...

i say "H. minax"

they say "What does it look like?"

i say "come over here and check it out!"

I open the cover and an H. minax jumps out of it's enclosure onto my shirt and rears up while on my stomache.....

it then jumps to my bearded dragon enclosure and rears up at Maud dib

i eventually caught him.... but i was scared.

it attacks, it doesn't pose.

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol!, Devildoll :D I have had my Cobalt run up and do that once..:eek: :eek: :eek: :8o :( =D And my Usambara around the time I first got her :D

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Without a doubt... my H. Lividium... She is GRUMPY!

Its strange, when I had her in the deli cup she was quite calm and placid... but when I opened the lid all hell broke loose lol

She loves to show me how big and tough she is... threats and strikes out at me if I am anywhere near her.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I would have to agree that I don't have any 'mean' spiders....just some are more defensive than others.
I actually prefer the ones that will stand and defend, like the C crayshawi. I can actually get her to calm down enough to be handled.
However, the ones that rear up, run like hell, and are skittish, are the ones I can't deal with LOL
Like my Usambaras, very unpredictable.
Some of mine have a repuation just by that particular species, but I've seen NO aggressive behaviour from, like the H maculata. She is the shyest spider I have. I can reach in and take her water bowl out for cleaning and she just runs and hides.