Mealworms :)

Eagle555 Jumping spiders

Arachnosquire
How do I breed mealworms for my T and Jumper? I have 25-30 larvae in a small cup once they pupate into pupae then I move them into a separate container now what do I do with the beetles to breed them etc
? Thanks - Eagle555

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
I have a mealworm colony, it took about 2-3 months for them to turn into beetles and they started breeding almost emediatly after that it took about a month and a half and then poof, baby mealworms! I don’t separate them and they breed by themselves after they turn into beetles. So yeah, they breed by them selves

Eagle555 Jumping spiders

Arachnosquire
I have a mealworm colony, it took about 2-3 months for them to turn into beetles and they started breeding almost emediatly after that it took about a month and a half and then poof, baby mealworms! I don’t separate them and they breed by themselves after they turn into beetles. So yeah, they breed by them selves
I’ll put them in Tub once I have beetles all together :)

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Just curious, why not keep lateralis roaches? Babies are tiny enough for jumpers, and tarantulas eat them with a vengeance.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
I really want to start a B. Lat colony. Just need to get some males.
They're pretty good feeders. Downsides that I can remember (years since I've kept them) is that they can climb pretty well, and if you're feeding big spiders it can take several roaches to equal a good meal. Otherwise, fast reproducing, they don't burrow or play dead, and they're easy to keep.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Know if any breeders who ship in the dead of winter w a heat pack 20- -5 each day
I recently moved to ND from overseas and am facing the same problem regarding getting inverts in the mail. One possible option is to specify hold for pickup at FedEx or USPS.

@CutThroat Kid They're pretty good feeders. Downsides that I can remember (years since I've kept them) is that they can climb pretty well, and if you're feeding big spiders it can take several roaches to equal a good meal. Otherwise, fast reproducing, they don't burrow or play dead, and they're easy to keep.

Eagle555 Jumping spiders

Arachnosquire
They're pretty good feeders. Downsides that I can remember (years since I've kept them) is that they can climb pretty well, and if you're feeding big spiders it can take several roaches to equal a good meal. Otherwise, fast reproducing, they don't burrow or play dead, and they're easy to keep.
Yeah big downside of climbing :/

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Sorry, hacked up my previous reply before you responded. So to get around the climbing thing, you can put a 3" or so Vaseline barrier around the top of their container. Keeps them from being able to get out.

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
I recently moved to ND from overseas and am facing the same problem regarding getting inverts in the mail. One possible option is to specify hold for pickup at FedEx or USPS.

@CutThroat Kid They're pretty good feeders. Downsides that I can remember (years since I've kept them) is that they can climb pretty well, and if you're feeding big spiders it can take several roaches to equal a good meal. Otherwise, fast reproducing, they don't burrow or play dead, and they're easy to keep.
Yeah I bout like 50 of them in October for some feeder variety, and not one has died from starvation or dehydration, and NGL I barely do any upkeep besides tossing in some new veggies once a week. They have quickly become my favorite feeder. But I only have 5 Ts, so if I was going to culture them, I'd need to figure out how to keep it small scale.

Eagle555 Jumping spiders

Arachnosquire
Sorry, hacked up my previous reply before you responded. So to get around the climbing thing, you can put a 3" or so Vaseline barrier around the top of their container. Keeps them from being able to get out.
😂 yeah I am in Montana do people here I wish kept more exotics for local pickup

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
Interestingly enough My B. lats don't seem to be able to grip the ultra-glossy plastic of the tote container I have them n.

Eagle555 Jumping spiders

Arachnosquire
Yeah I bout like 50 of them in October for some feeder variety, and not one has died from starvation or dehydration, and NGL I barely do any upkeep besides tossing in some new veggies once a week. They have quickly become my favorite feeder. But I only have 5 Ts, so if I was going to culture them, I'd need to figure out how to keep it small scale.
Same I’m getting my second in April hopefully

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
There's always a market for feeders and you can easily sell whatever you don't need. It's hard to keep roaches from proliferating.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Interestingly enough My B. lats don't seem to be able to grip the ultra-glossy plastic of the tote container I have them n.
That'll change once you've cleaned it out enough times, you end up with lots of tiny scratches accumulating on the surface over time and they can climb those pretty easily.

There's always a market for feeders and you can easily sell whatever you don't need.
I used to think this but far too many blaggers and time-wasters in the hobby so it wasn't even worth purchasing the shipping supplies, I just cull and compost my excess now.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
I used to think this but far too many blaggers and time-wasters in the hobby so it wasn't even worth purchasing the shipping supplies, I just cull and compost my excess now.
That's really surprising. I had to get out of the hobby for a few years and am replenishing my supplies now that I'm reestablished in the US, and I'm struggling to find a good deal on dubia. If u were looking for lateralis, I'd be nearly screwed. $40 for a 100 roach "starter colony" or $35 for 500 pinheads is just insanity to me. I'd feed off most of them before they ever got a chance to establish.