Mealworms vs Superworms

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been thinking of breeding mealworms for fun but I recently saw some superworms, and they seem to be larger and a bit more interesting.
1 thing is that their life cycles seem kinda slow. does either one grow faster? any recommendations? thanks :D

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
I can't speak on breeding Superworms but Mealworms I have been breeding for about 3 years. There is really nothing to it. It is a little slow going at first to get it started but there life cycle is pretty fast if kept at 75-80 degrees. I bought a few tubs of mealworms from the LPS and within 1-2 weeks I had beetles that were breeding. I may be wrong but I have never seen a Superworm turn into a beetle they normally just die.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Superworms must be isolated to pupate.
Mealworms are definitely easier to breed; put them on some grains and just wait. lol
I gave a friend of mine some mealworms and he forgot about them in their container. A month later he checked on them and he had some (albeit with some slight wing deformities) adults. He checked on them 5 months later and had a container full of mealworms. :}

Superworms are very easy to breed if you keep them hot with a little bit of moisture. I've been breeding them for 3 years now and if I want another generation I just pull out some large larvae, put them in a dark area with cups, check them occasionally, and pull out the adults when they emerge. I keep the breeding container right next to the light on my bearded dragon enclosure, and I mist twice a week. I give them carrots, apples, and orange slices as treats. Eventually the larvae begin to take over the container, so I pull out all the adults, put them in a new breeder bin, and use the old container to fatten the larvae up so I can feed them off.

For both species I use chicken mash mixed with some ground up dog food as their substrate.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't speak on breeding Superworms but Mealworms I have been breeding for about 3 years. There is really nothing to it. It is a little slow going at first to get it started but there life cycle is pretty fast if kept at 75-80 degrees. I bought a few tubs of mealworms from the LPS and within 1-2 weeks I had beetles that were breeding. I may be wrong but I have never seen a Superworm turn into a beetle they normally just die.
-hmmmm ok thanks both guys I guess i will try mealworms! :)
but, brad: how do you keep your mealworms warm? the temps around here are usually 66-70 until summer. i have a reptile heating pad but i dont have a thermostat for it. Oh yeah and is 50 enough? thanks

Last edited:

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
brad: how do you keep your mealworms warm? the temps around here are usually 66-70 until summer i have a reptile heating pad but i dont have a thermostat for it. thanks
I keep there tub in my T room. They may do just fine aroud 68 or 70 but from my experience there life cycle speeds up in a warmer climate. So it is easier to get a "colony" (for lack of a better word) going.

Pssh

Arachnoknight
A heat pad placed under one end will probably be fine. If it seems to get too warm just lift the container up a little.