Mealworms, mold, and feeding

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
1,310
So here's my situation. I purchased 500 mealworms to use as feeders for my Ts. Well they ate all the bran so I put them in oatmeal. I have them in a container on my shelf and at some point, it acquired some moisture and molded. It never got way out of hand like growing or anything, but it was still mold. It has since dried out, but there is still green in there.

My question is can mealworms that have consumed mold harm my tarantulas?

If so, I'll just let them all turn into beetles and let them breed.
 

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
41
It depends it shouldn't hurt your T but to be safe I would let them turn into beetles.. And make sure you clean out the mealworms enclosure. ;)
 

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
224
I wouldn't advise feeding them just in case man wouldn't want to risk it.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

I would move the container away from your t's (if close) because some molds can be.airborne and you don't want that
 

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
1,423
Throw away as much of the green stuff it as you can. Even if the mealworm consumed mold doesn't affect your T, the worms are still covered in the stuff as they tunnel through it.
 

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
336
Yea I posted a similar post a year or so ago about dubias eating mold. Got the same basic answer from JC from everyone else. There is no risk they eat mold in the wild and then are ate by their prey with no problem.

Matt
 
Top