Mealworms for jumping spider

Iamjj

Arachnopeon
Hey 2nd post on here but I'm new to the jumping spider stuff. Anyways, I did Feed the full size mealworm to my jumping spider and she got it! Buy I've read that mealworms are high in chitin and protein and that you should not feed them to your pets. They said only as a treat. Does this apply to jumping spiders or spiders in general because they don't really eat the body they just suck the juices out of it. If this does apply I'll just switch to wax worms. Thanks for all the help!

Centipedism

Arachnosquire
this advice pertains to reptiles and amphibians, mostly. the concern regarding chitin is it's a potent gluten that can harm an animal in large concentrations; but this isn't a problem for spiders, who build their exoskeletons out of chitin. spiders do not even eat solids (meaning the exoskeleton, where most of the chitin is) beyond what their venom can liquify, and they'll be fine on a diet of any invertebrate provided it hasn't been exposed to pesticides and the feeders have been gut-loaded. I fed my jumping spiders crickets about their size, but any gut-loaded non-wild bug will do as long as it isn't much bigger than they are. that said, I encourage you to try feeding your spider a mix of things. they enjoy coming up with new ways to hunt different kinds of prey.