Mealworms 101

redbadger

Arachnopeon
I think I must have skipped class ...the day the professor discussed how to give T's mealworms.....I drop them in and poof they are gone into the soil...don't do the T's much good that way...Does anyone got the notes from that lecture..LOL

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I use mealworms as the primary food for my spiderlings, as pinheads are impossible to get in my area (short of a 30 mile drive).

With the arboreals, it's the easiest. I put the mealworm right on top of the web. It crawls around a bit, then into the web, or the spider just jumps right out to grab it before it gets the change to get its footing! :)

The terestrials are a lot trickier. The best method I've found is to put my fingers slightly at risk (only with the babies) and hold it up to them. Some will grab it right away, others take some coaxing.

The burrowing species are about the same as the arboreals. Just drop them right into the burrow ;)

Hope that helps!!
-Bryan

Spiderm@n

Arachnopeon
will all spiders take meal worms? how big are they and how much? i have never used them i have always fed mine black or brown crickets.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I've learned that spiders can be pretty picky. Some of mine won't have anything to do with mealworms. Others absolutely love them. It's just something you'd have to try to know. Mealworms (about 1" long) run about $2 for 100 of them (refridgerate them to keep them alive longer). Superworms (about 3" long) run about $2.50 for 25 of them (do not refridgerate them, as it kills them).

-Bryan

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Actually, from what I've heard, t's love the beatles. Although they find John a little whiny and hate Yoko ;) Seriously though, the only thing you have to worry about with mealworms is that I've heard that they sometimes burrow into the substrate and will come up to eat when your T is molting. Guess what they're going to go eat? If you're feeding mealworms to a T who does not eat them right away, your best bet is to place them into a dish that the T can get into, but the worms can't get out of. That's it, problem solved.

Scott

redbadger

Arachnopeon
I will have to try a deeper dish ....they crawl out of they crawl right out of the 5 gal. water caps I use....and I really hate having to chase them out of the soil....
Thanks

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
While we're on the topic

Hey, I might want to get in on this thread as I've been worried about food for the T that I'll hopefully be getting. I was planning to stick to mealworms as well, since crickets make me nervous..hopefully my T won't be too picky ;-) What about keeping the mealworms alive? how much attention do THEY need? whenever i read about feeding in caresheets, they never mention how to keep your food alive. the only thing that a T seems to be willing to eat that's dead is a pinkie. So, what sort of attention do mealworms/crickets need?
You guys will have me learned in no time.
The Rookie

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mealworms are about the easiest feeder insect to rear and keep. I don't use them that often, but I always keep a culture going as a back-up food source because it's sooo easy.

If you don't want to raise them, you can just keep the container they come in in the refrigerator, they'll live for weeks.

To raise them, I get a container (I use plastic food containers) and fill it half way with dry oatmeal, bran, or just about any other grain-based product. I've even used chicken feed (which I feed my crickets and cockroaches). Add the worms. they don't need much water, a slice of potato, apple, orange, or other fruit that's not too mushy, will provide the moisture they need. The hardest part is remembering to change out the fruit slice! Every few months (when the grain is gone and the container is fullof powdery frass), the worms will need more grain, and that's a good time to clean. I just set up a new container with food and sift frass and seperate the worms and beetles out and move them to the new container.

I have forgotten culters for months at a time, only to find them still going later! Everyone should have a mealworm culture, it's too easy NOT to!

Wade