mealworm

magicmed

Arachnobaron
What to feed a mealworm?oat?
You can just feed oat but you will run into canabalism. Just drop a carrot in there if you want something easy.

Personally I use carrot, bok choy, and bamboo shoots, collard greens and squash. @EulersK recommend coliflower, which im going to look into.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Adding veg to the usual grain (oats) is good -- but be super careful of the moisture a veg will add -- it's practically begging for grain mites. I would literally dry off carrot (or whatev) and leave lid off container for maximum ventilation and drying ability. Esp during humid summers.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Whether you're feeding mealworms, roaches, crickets, or beetles, be sure to never leave uneaten food in there for too long. To me, overnight is too long. I usually offer food in the morning and take out anything uneaten by night. I've dealt with a phorid fly infestation, and trust me, you don't want to deal with that.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yeah -- I refuse to keep a mealworm colony anymore due to mould and grain mite risks -- phorid flies aren't welcome in my home either. And really, with their burrowing in T enclosures if not tagged immediately (which meant I needed to crush their heads or behead them) plus the fact bearded dragons should not eat them in excess... just not a desirable feeder to me. A lot of work for a lot of trouble. :(
What I do highly recommend are waxworms. ALL my guys love these. But I buy waxies as needed -- I had zip luck breeding them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah -- I refuse to keep a mealworm colony anymore due to mould and grain mite risks -- phorid flies aren't welcome in my home either. And really, with their burrowing in T enclosures if not tagged immediately (which meant I needed to crush their heads or behead them) plus the fact bearded dragons should not eat them in excess... just not a desirable feeder to me. A lot of work for a lot of trouble. :(
What I do highly recommend are waxworms. ALL my guys love these. But I buy waxies as needed -- I had zip luck breeding them.
Agreed, wax worms are great. I just wish they were easier to breed in captivity. I'm actually on the market to start breeding some type of "worm", although I've yet to find one that I'm interested in.