Mealworm Pupae

WaltRBuck

Arachnopeon
I just discovered that my spiders seem to have an obsession (yes it isn't the right word here but should get the point across) for mealworm pupae. I crush the head of them while putting them in and they "struggle" to use a pokemon term. They wiggle. I almost feel bad except I suspect it is a more merciful death than slowly being digested. This isn't the point of this thread though.

I have a question. Does anyone know any reasons NOT to feed a tarantula that seems very interested in a head crushed mealworm pupa? What I have noticed is that they are very juicy and moist. My hope is that this is basically nutrition soup.

cold blood

Staff member
I just discovered that my spiders seem to have an obsession (yes it isn't the right word here but should get the point across) for mealworm pupae. I crush the head of them while putting them in and they "struggle" to use a pokemon term. They wiggle. I almost feel bad except I suspect it is a more merciful death than slowly being digested. This isn't the point of this thread though.

I have a question. Does anyone know any reasons NOT to feed a tarantula that seems very interested in a head crushed mealworm pupa? What I have noticed is that they are very juicy and moist. My hope is that this is basically nutrition soup.
They are fine, feed away....I had a hard time keeping a mealworm colony partly because all my slings liked them at that stage and so did I as they didnt crawl away or burrow....however, in that stage they are harmless until they molt, so no need to crunch them.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had fed superworm pupae before, didn't bother to crush the head as their mouthparts don't seem able to do anything at this point. Or are they ? The only thing I noticed is them wiggling their abdomen like crazy when picked up with tongs. 2 of my 4 Ts took them without hesitation, the others didn't seem to register them as food.

WaltRBuck

Arachnopeon
The reason I crushed the head was to kill them in time, keeping them from completing the morph over night if they happened to be that close. Just a safety precaution more than anything.