me too

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
body about 2 x 3 mm, found -right- next to an argiope web.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, thank you... that's it!
I've heard about them a lot, but never saw pictures. It would be interesting to set up this with a female and male argiope... hmm...

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, it's so much smaller... how much could it take?

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
maybe this should be another thread

i'd like to identify it to species... does anyone have a link or something?

if put with an unenclosed Argiope, is it likely to stay there?

how much of a threat to the host is it? i.e., how likely is this?

would a setup with a female and male A. argentata, and an Argyrodes sp. work? (i'm thinking he and the parasite might not get along...) Any tips for keeping these thief spiders?

how much would any danger be heightened by having two thief spiders on the web?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
VERY cool find! A species that I always pondered trying to find and see if it could be kept successfully in captivity.
Seems that some survive by stealing food from the host and other species hunt down the host. I would have to guess that they all probably steal food from the host until full grown and when ready and gravid, they kill the host ...maybe for the final meal.

I could see getting into orbs JUST to keep a line of those going! :D Talk about a highly specialized "pet". ;)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, it's very pretty when you get up -really- close to it.

buthus said:
...and see if it could be kept successfully in captivity.
that makes two of us!

buthus said:
Seems that some survive by stealing food from the host and other species hunt down the host. I would have to guess that they all probably steal food from the host until full grown and when ready and gravid, they kill the host ...maybe for the final meal.
...why would you guess that?

buthus said:
I could see getting into orbs JUST to keep a line of those going! :D Talk about a highly specialized "pet". ;)
I'd guess they can be kept without an orb weaver, it would be a little more difficult though.

Pulk said:
i'd like to identify it to species... does anyone have a link or something?

if put with an unenclosed Argiope, is it likely to stay there?

how much of a threat to the host is it? i.e., how likely is this?

would a setup with a female and male A. argentata, and an Argyrodes sp. work? (i'm thinking he and the parasite might not get along...) Any tips for keeping these thief spiders?

how much would any danger be heightened by having two thief spiders on the web?

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
why do you think it would kill its host?
I haven´t heard of an Argyrodes sp. killing its host...
Normally they just steal smaller prey caught by the web of their hosts, they use a very interesting technique to steal it so the host doesn´t even get to know there was prey (cutting major lines in the web).
They should be able to build webs on their own, so they could even survive without having a host, otherwise the hole colony would die soon after the host died.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi,
why do you think it would kill its host?
I haven´t heard of an Argyrodes sp. killing its host...
Normally they just steal smaller prey caught by the web of their hosts, they use a very interesting technique to steal it so the host doesn´t even get to know there was prey (cutting major lines in the web).
They should be able to build webs on their own, so they could even survive without having a host, otherwise the hole colony would die soon after the host died.
Yah, your right. I was assuming that probably more species than A.incursus hunted down the host. Really interesting spiders ...I need to look into these more.
I'd guess they can be kept without an orb weaver, it would be a little more difficult though.
Be sure to keep us up to date regarding this. If I had them, I'd do all I could do to set up an orb for 'em, but it would be nice to know how best to keep them going even w/out a host. ;)
Pulk, these could be your calling ...your true spider hobby claim to fame so to speak. :D ;) Figure out what makes them tick!

Arachnotized

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow..great spider..looks almost as if the abdomen is blown glass! Amazing find!:clap:

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i brought two inside; the bigger one was acting a little sluggish so i put it at the edge the argiope web... it seemed pretty comfortable there but this morning it was gone. and i don't think she ate it, as she didn't drop another prey parts ball... i'll be more careful with the other one.

also: these things poo a LOT

Edit: found it! now why wouldn't it be happy at an occupied orb web?

Last edited:

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
2 x 3 mm is GRAVID size... she made an eggsac and is now small.
more importantly, the argiope is chewing a cricket and the argyrodes snuck up next to it on the other side of the web! i hope she theives something. i might have pics later.

anyone know what to do with the eggsac? anyone interested in it? (the slings will prolly be too small for me to take care of.)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
2 x 3 mm is GRAVID size... she made an eggsac and is now small.
more importantly, the argiope is chewing a cricket and the argyrodes snuck up next to it on the other side of the web! i hope she theives something. i might have pics later.

anyone know what to do with the eggsac? anyone interested in it? (the slings will prolly be too small for me to take care of.)
I'll trade ya something for the sac. ;) PM me if interested.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here is mrs. argyrodes with her sac - click for zoom

and when she almost got some argiope food - i don't think she ever got any

these pictures came out better than i expected - watch out, randy may!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome!

Would be interesting to compare the movements and approach methods of male argiopes to that of the argyrodes. ;)
I dont believe for a second that the argiopes isnt fully aware of another spiders presence in her web. I just wanna ask her who does she think it is? :? :D

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Would be interesting to compare the movements and approach methods of male argiopes to that of the argyrodes. ;)
I'll try to do that, of course, but I didn't carefully watch her whole approach. It was veeerrry slow.
I dont believe for a second that the argiopes isnt fully aware of another spiders presence in her web. I just wanna ask her who does she think it is? :? :D
Why do you think she's fully aware of it?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why do you think she's fully aware of it?
Just assuming that they have an incredible sensitivity to any pressure or vibration in their web. But then again, maybe the argyrodes is light enough and moves slow enough that she isnt aware ...?
Have you observed her reacting to the argyrodes movements at all?

Guess I be pipe-dreamin' that there might be some movement mimicry involved. :D Would be a cool adaption. ;)