Me Handling My Heterometrus longimanus (borneensis) - Video

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
*** Do not handle scorpions, as they are venomous unpredictable wild creatures ***

I took one of my 3 Heteromertus longimanus bornees out for an inspection and thought I would share the experience. I took her outside for different scenery for the video. This is a female that I bought from www.Tarantulas.com (Northwest Zoological Supply) Thanks Dan! ;)

Enjoy, Thaedion :cool:

[YOUTUBE]Ht7grDB_Ygw[/YOUTUBE]​

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice

cool vid! is that the same scorp from the 'What i've done' music vid? lol

i like that effect where he turns a bronze color, very nice :)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice vid, Thaedion! I got my girl from the same folks as you at the last expo back in February. I don't think I could grip mine like you have yours -- she goes into the threat posture pretty easily. They sure like to explore, huh? :D

Fingers crossed that we both picked the gravid ones!

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
cool vid! is that the same scorp from the 'What i've done' music vid? lol

i like that effect where he turns a bronze color, very nice :)
Thanks Compnerd. I try to make em interesting

Nice vid, Thaedion! I got my girl from the same folks as you at the last expo back in February. I don't think I could grip mine like you have yours -- she goes into the threat posture pretty easily. They sure like to explore, huh? :D

Fingers crossed that we both picked the gravid ones!
Yeah I bought mine back in Feb also I had them shipped from WA, took only about 14hr from store to door. I hope I have a gravid one too, the one in the video is the one that 'might' be gravid. As far as being explorative, when I took her out and let her start roaming, right up the arm to my back and down the other arm, it was kinda' freaky. {D

Thaedion

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i seriouly need them in one of my enclosures :) if anyone can get them let me know, i will give you a good deal :) hyehehe

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As far as being explorative, when I took her out and let her start roaming, right up the arm to my back and down the other arm, it was kinda' freaky. {D

Thaedion
Ha! That's EXACTLY what mine did! No one was around to help out, so I just felt her wandering around back there until she appeard on my hip a few minutes later. So cute! :D

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
awesome! man,mine are so freakin defensive,even when i open their enclosures,feed/water they go nuts,trying to sting/pinch{D i love these massive beasts

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ha! That's EXACTLY what mine did! No one was around to help out, so I just felt her wandering around back there until she appeard on my hip a few minutes later. So cute! :D
I had to let mine travel the full distance around because the only one there to help me was my 12 year old daughter and she said NO WAY!!

awesome! man,mine are so freakin defensive,even when i open their enclosures,feed/water they go nuts,trying to sting/pinch{D i love these massive beasts
She goes nut too, I just distract her with one hand while I tail her with the other. She calms down as soon as she is able to roam.

once again nice video and scorpion!
Thanks man.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
very nice...I didn't realize they were that big, I've never owned any adult Heterometrus, I've got 2 3rd instar H. cyaneus...

Hair8legs

Arachnopeon
that is a great looking scorpian! is that an Asian forest scorpian? I'm horriable with latin names....
I don't really dare to pick mine two guys up! i'm already deadly allergic to bee stings, don't have the imagination on what a scorpian sting would do to me!!:eek: I just use a long pencil to move 'em into another container when I need to mess with their cage.

p.s. Does anyone know how many scorps can live together in the same 30 gallon tarriam? Can I mix two emps with two Asian forests???

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hair8legs,

Any scorpion in the Heterometrus genus can be called an Asian Forest Scorpion. But common names are horrible for IDing a scorpion, especially a confusing genus like Heterometrus.

I bet you could fit 10 more Heterometrus in a 30 gallon tank. It depends on hoq long it is, and how high it is. I have a 29 gallon tank, but it isn't very long and I could only fit maybe 3 or 4 in there.

Mike

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
that is a great looking scorpian! is that an Asian forest scorpian? I'm horriable with latin names....
I don't really dare to pick mine two guys up! i'm already deadly allergic to bee stings, don't have the imagination on what a scorpian sting would do to me!!:eek: I just use a long pencil to move 'em into another container when I need to mess with their cage.

p.s. Does anyone know how many scorps can live together in the same 30 gallon tarriam? Can I mix two emps with two Asian forests???
As mentioned common names are bad, This one was called a Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, But When I searched under that name I was getting 'hits' for Heterometrus spinifer, This beast was IDed as a longimanus, and most recently by another authority as a H. petersii 'forest morph' due to granulation pattern and telson. So the heterometrus sp are IDed mainly by specific characteristic, See this thread By George Carnell.

A general rule of thumb is 5 gallons per emperor which would equate to nearly the same for Heteros, but as low as 2 gallons is not unheard of, but as mentioned tank dimensions are a factor a 20 long compared to a 20 tall have different surface area, See here for tank dimension

Heterometrus' are more aggressive than emperors so mixing them may prove fatal for the emperor.

Thaedion

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This beast was IDed as a longimanus, and most recently by another authority as a H. petersii 'forest morph' due to granulation pattern and telson.
Darn -- does that mean mine's not an H. longimanus either? :?

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Iheartmantids,

If it came from the same dealer, there is a good chance that is indeed a H. petersii as well. But, the Heterometrus genus is quite large and you can never know how many imports they got and if they were from the same area. I'll be glad to help you ID yours as well if you can post pictures of the granulation on the "head."

Mike

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's two pictures on this thread that may be useful -- the second one, and the last one in the first post. If those aren't good enough then I can take some more.

Thanks for any help. I got excited when people thought it was H. longimanus.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yours may be H. longimanus or H. spinifer. The telson is not the black color of H. petersii.

IMO, H. longimanus is the hardest of the common Heterometrus to ID. The granulation pattren is very close to H. spinifer. The difference is so little, I would find it hard to ID on pictures alone. I believed I had a H. longimanus pair for a while, but now think that I have a H. longimanus female, and H. spinifer.

The easiest thing for you to do it get the scorpion under some bright light and see if there is an area in the granulation where it is smooth. That will indicate that it is a H. longimanus.

Mike

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mike is the person that confidently IDed mine, at 100%.

Thaedion

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmm . . . I looked closely at a couple pictures I had and compared them to the granulation pattern someone posted on my other thread. I'm still leaning towards longimanus.

But I'm thinking that it's not too unlikley for their territories to overlap where they might be collected. We'll see in a few years, assuming she is gravid and I get males. :D

On the other hand . . . when she was IDed as longimanus with her claws that small, and the label said "possibly gravid," I assumed she was a female. I've never actually checked her pectines.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've found that there isn't actually that many H. spinifer, or at least I can't find any. If she gives birth, get the exos of one the young and look at it under a microscope. Could ID it that way.

Saying about every Heterometrus is labeled H. spinifer, they must be common enough to have the other Heterometrus sp labeled as them.

Check the pectines, should be interesting to see if it is indeed a female.

Mike