Me and my pokie ;)

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Monday was my birthday and all i wanted was to hold my big regalis.
So i did.
She's a sweety, but Don't anyone else go trying this.
I'm just trying to be a bite report as Bryan says ;)

Attachments

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mike will have the next pokie bite report.
You'll probley get alot of flack for this one.

Bryan

p.s. why do your eyes look so funny????lol!!!!!!!

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I clearly stated that no one should try this Bryan.
NO kids, this isn't a good idea :)

there... my disclaimer.

Like i said though... i trust my pokies as much as i trust any other animal i have....

I don't.
I just know whether they will tolerate that or not. If they are flighty when i brush their abdomen, they stay in. If they tolerate some stroking, and i can direct them without them bolting, i coax them onto me.

Frankly, being in your basement with you Chip your prairie dog running loose was WAY more dangerous than this;)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cute little pokie devildoll. How long have you had her for? Is she the only pokie you have? I love P.regalis and yours still has a little bit of growing to do too (taking into account they get over 7 and a half inches), what does she measure at?

Without starting more flamage, as I'm just curious, how many of the bite reports for this species have you read and what's your take on those reports? I don't really care for an opinion on whether or not they should be handled (that's been done enough), just what you though about the toxicity of this genus/species and the symptoms/how serious you think they might be.

Thanks,
Steve

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Thats not my spider, but since ive handled an adult P.fasciata before, ill go ahead and field your question.

I firmly believe in the toxicity of Genera Poecilotheria. I fully understood the consequences of being bitten.

However, for me, the general nature of any particular spider and how much I trust it outweighs whether its venom is toxic or not. I happen to own a very laidback representative of Poecilotheria, therefore while I was cognizant of what could happen, I was also fairly sure of what was more likely to happen, ie: nothing.

I would never handle a spider if it gave any indication of being disturbed, defensive, skiddish, or aggressive in any way. That applys to any animal I own, whether a G.rosea or a Heteroscodra.

Furthermore, it has alot to do with the degree to which I trust myself. If i feared the spider or felt I would act in an innapropriate manner (that is, disturbed, defensive, skiddish, or aggressive) should a conflict occur then I would not have attempted in the first place.

Alot of unprovoked bite reports occur while cleaning or feeding, all within close proximity to the spiders home. In my limited experience I have found (at least for Poecilotheria, Citharischius, Psalmopeus) that once removed from that environ, to a bathtub or bed or floor, they are generally less likely to bite. That is in no way a blanket statement, just what I have casually observed.

Hope that helps,

-V

Last edited:

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've read the reports Steve...
I believe how toxic their venom can be. But like i said, i'm not careless about it. Like Vayu Son said.

I have 12 pokies, various sizes. they make up most of my collection.

That girl actually is pretty big... but i'm a big guy w/ big hands.
She's just shy or 7 inches.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Devildoll
I've read the reports Steve...
I believe how toxic their venom can be. But like i said, i'm not careless about it. Like Vayu Son said.
Thanks devildoll, I was just curious. And VS, thankyou too, but there really was no need to justify handling again, it's been thrashed to death on the other thread. I just wanted points of view on toxicity, which you both gave, cool.

Cheers,
Steve

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is it just me... or does he look like someone out of a movie? Phonebooth! Thats the movie! You look like that guy from phonebooth!

smithikeeper

Arachnopeon
Monday was my birthday and all i wanted was to hold my big regalis.
So i did.
She's a sweety, but Don't anyone else go trying this.
I'm just trying to be a bite report as Bryan says ;)

I say do what you think is comfortable. If that's the same P. regalis I had, she is pretty calm. You just had to tease me with those beautiful pictures of her! Damn! Can I have her back? ;-) I have been thinking of getting another, and now I HAVE to get one! Good luck on breeding her in the future.

Roy

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Happy belated birthday, and best wishes to your beautiful spider :)

Joy

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
That girl actually is pretty big... but i'm a big guy w/ big hands.
She's just shy or 7 inches.
you know what they say about big hands, right? : )

great pictures, you dirty old man.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, that is a really cool looking spider. I think I'll start collecting pokie when I start making more money.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
She is just gorgeous. Thats why I want one !! :D I wont hold her ever though, to chicken. :( Nice eyes btw ! ;)

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah smithikeeper, that is the one :) she is super gentle.

no you can't have her :)

heheheh....

I do have some decent sized ornatas though if you do want a pokie... i can bring one to the next show for you ... just send me an email :)

The male i got is doing great too... he's probably gonna molt in the next 4 or 5 weeks.... i just hope i can get her to molt in the next month or two too......

Krystal, Everything they say about big hands is true :)

Spider savior, thank you.... i have the girliest eyelashes ever though :)

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great pics :D
My 7.5" regalis is a sweetheart, as well. Seeing you w/ your lovely girl reminded me that it's about time for another photo shoot. lol

Happy belated birthday

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I aint handling mine thats for sure (if this happens for me). Has anyone told you that you look a little like Colin Farrel ? You do.