Mcleay's Spectre Nymph Feeding

Berta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Macleay's Spectre Nymph Feeding

I had all but given up on my spectre eggs. I knew I might be in for a nine-month wait, but after mailing from the UK, being too cold, too dry, then too wet and molding slightly, I thought I was out of luck. This morning however, 5 months after the tiny parcel's arrival, I got a call from my boyfriend telling me to come home right away because my spectres were hatching!

Two came out this morning, and a third this evening. There are about 15 more eggs, so we'll see how many more pop up over the next few days.

My question is, does anyone know at what point the nymphs generally begin feeding?

I would expect them to come out of their eggs and be ready to chow down, but so far none of the three has done anything but occasionally walk across the blackberry leaf I've offered.

My pet-keeper paranoia now has me frantically Googling for more information on feeding and keeping nymphs. I would hate to have the little things starve to death after waiting so long for them to hatch. I've read suggestions that while adult spectres can be kept on blackberry greens, nymphs are better served by their native eucalyptus gunnii. Would they be young and confused enough to starve to death rather than eat something else?

In addition to the blackberry, which I can get from my back yard and know with a fair degree of certainty is pesticide free, I do have access to oak leaves from a local college campus, and what I believe to be eucalyptus gunnii (based on a visual id from gunnii pics on the web) from a fancy grocery floral department. The problem with the two latter alternatives, of course, is I have no way to know what chemicals they've been exposed to. I can wash them thoroughly, but that only goes so far.

So, spectre keepers, what's my best bet? Should I leave the nymphs with the clean blackberry and have faith that they'll eat it before starving to death, or offer thouroughly washed but still dubious oak and eucalyptus, risking poison, but hopefully avoiding starvation?

Last edited:

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats on the new babies!
I've heard that if you cut the edges of some of the blackberry it might stimulate them to feed. You could also try something like rose that might be a little softer and therefore a bit easier for them to start on.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Berta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I tore up the blackberry a bit, and while they're still not gorging, I did see at least two of them come up and nibble on it, so I at least know they know it's food.

I don't have access to any clean rose, but I did throw in some smaller more tender blackberry leaves in case that was what they were looking for.

I've also got a couple of roaches acting as royal tasters on the eucalyptus. They've eaten a bit, and I'll watch for any ill effects. Of course, I imagine they're a good bit hardier than my bitty nymphs, but I'll feel somewhat more secure if the roaches can eat the stuff unharmed at least.

And now, in case you were interested, some pics:

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my McKleay's phasmids always started eating within a few days.
just make sure their food is fresh and cages well ventilated.
and making sure food was available at all times.
i misted once daily..raised countless specimens.
just keep in mind the females will lay dozens of clones of herself each year.
the amount of food needed will be a bit of work.
these are some older pics..i miss those guys.

Last edited: