Maybe off Topic but I Need Help About This

TheNewbie

Arachnopeon
20191011_143815.jpg New one here. Dont know much about spiders apart from simple things. I would like to find out what spider this is.. I fed him in my garden i was cheking up on him few times now.. I would like to catch him and keep him in the house in a glass box and make enclosure for him but i dont know what surface to put and i dont what he eats i was giving him some insects and he ate them he looks pretty well fed. The reason why i want to keep him in enclosure is that winter is coming, and there were few rainy days where he dissapeared and when the sun came out he came out as well... So i hope you can help me with this..

Minty

@londontarantulas
View attachment 323080 New one here. Dont know much about spiders apart from simple things. I would like to find out what spider this is.. I fed him in my garden i was cheking up on him few times now.. I would like to catch him and keep him in the house in a glass box and make enclosure for him but i dont know what surface to put and i dont what he eats i was giving him some insects and he ate them he looks pretty well fed. The reason why i want to keep him in enclosure is that winter is coming, and there were few rainy days where he dissapeared and when the sun came out he came out as well... So i hope you can help me with this..
Welcome.

Search the forum and read the beginner threads. You’ll find all the basic information you need by reading the forum.

I can’t tell you which species it is but if you google ‘common spiders in Bosnia & Herzegovina’ you might get an idea as to which species it might be.

All it needs to eat, are insects.

Give it any plastic tub with plenty of small ventilation holes for an enclosure. A water dish too. You can add substrate and twigs/cork bark for it to climb on and build a web.

For substrate, search online or in local exotic pet shops for coconut fibre or similar. A thin layer at the bottom will be adequate.

basin79

ArachnoGod
View attachment 323080 New one here. Dont know much about spiders apart from simple things. I would like to find out what spider this is.. I fed him in my garden i was cheking up on him few times now.. I would like to catch him and keep him in the house in a glass box and make enclosure for him but i dont know what surface to put and i dont what he eats i was giving him some insects and he ate them he looks pretty well fed. The reason why i want to keep him in enclosure is that winter is coming, and there were few rainy days where he dissapeared and when the sun came out he came out as well... So i hope you can help me with this..
She'll need a spacious tall enclosure so she can make her web. She'll probably web up in your house if you put her near a window.

Last edited:

TheNewbie

Arachnopeon
Welcome.

Search the forum and read the beginner threads. You’ll find all the basic information you need by reading the forum.

I can’t tell you which species it is but if you google ‘common spiders in Bosnia & Herzegovina’ you might get an idea as to which species it might be.

All it needs to eat, are insects.

Give it any plastic tub with plenty of small ventilation holes for an enclosure. A water dish too. You can add substrate and twigs/cork bark for it to climb on and build a web.

For substrate, search online or in local exotic pet shops for coconut fibre or similar. A thin layer at the bottom will be adequate.
Thank you very much, and one more thing how should i capture it, i dont want to harm the spider, whats the easiest and safest way to do it? I found on web that it might be a Garden Orb-weaver... But dont really know. Not 100% sure

Minty

@londontarantulas
Thank you very much, and one more thing how should i capture it, i dont want to harm the spider, whats the easiest and safest way to do it? I found on web that it might be a Garden Orb-weaver... But dont really know. Not 100% sure
Easiest and safest way to capture any spider it using a large plastic catch cup.

You can even cut a plastic juice bottle in half and use that.

Given where that spider is, I’d also use a sheet of paper to make sure she can’t escape from the cup due to the shock of being captured.

TheNewbie

Arachnopeon
She'll need a spacious tall enclosure with so she can make her web. She'll probably web up in your house if you put her near a window.
Well i say she likes to make web in a round way. Very often. And often she'd also change the look of that web, destroy it-make a new one, in a matter of a day. But she is not that big as it look on the photo. I just tried to get the best quality so i can post in the web to find out the species and everything she needs.

Easiest and safest way to capture any spider it using a large plastic catch cup.

You can even cut a plastic juice bottle in half and use that.

Given where that spider is, I’d also use a sheet of paper to make sure she can’t escape from the cup due to the shock of being captured.
Got it! Thanks a lot! I hope it works :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's a A.diadematus, in Europe are very common (especially in the Mediterranean part). Honestly I will leave the bugger alone, in the garden :pompous:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
'ordinary' orb weaver, there are hundreds in my garden at the moment, with all the babies from this summer growing up.
I would just leave him or her be. They need large webs to catch their prey. Sticking them in a tub is a waste of a good natural predator of everything that wrecks a garden. ;)

TheNewbie

Arachnopeon
'ordinary' orb weaver, there are hundreds in my garden at the moment, with all the babies from this summer growing up.
I would just leave him or her be. They need large webs to catch their prey. Sticking them in a tub is a waste of a good natural predator of everything that wrecks a garden. ;)
Well, i am reading a lot of stuff about them now, i might leave it out there. But it says that they die in winter. Winter kills them. But i dont know on who it reffers to, on the babys or the female..

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Never tried to keep this species, but some friends did. From what they told me, the biggest problem was to get the spider to build a web indoors. Apparently they seek out a (in their opinion) suitable place for their web by airflow. So keeping in a tank / terrarium will be difficult, unless you could resemble some kind of air moving (ventilator perhaps?).
What worked was to keep the spider free inside the room, it would usually build a web close to a window.

Generally, it's possible. I don't know of any person who has done it for prolonged periods of time though. If you want to keep a net building spider as a "pet" i'd suggest you take a look at Nephila / Trichonephila instead. They are also net builders but grow much (!!) larger and are every now and then kept and bred in the pet trade in europe.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well, i am reading a lot of stuff about them now, i might leave it out there. But it says that they die in winter. Winter kills them. But i dont know on who it reffers to, on the babys or the female..
Turns out I was incorrect about the babies of the last summer now making their webs and laying eggs, it is last year's summer babies doing that. Adult females are laying eggs who will last through winter and hatch in spring next year. Their lifespan isn't very long, a year, year and a half at most ;)

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Their lifespan isn't very long, a year, year and a half at most ;)
This is the same for several true spider species from the tropics. They develop real fast but unfortunately don't last very long as adults either.

To my opinion one of the major-reasons why keeping true spiders isn't more popular.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The spiderlings overwinter in their egg sacs and emerge in the spring. They mature, mate, and die within that year.

Even if you kept the adults warm throughout the winter, they have a short lifespan and will gradually weaken and die.

It's sad, but it's just the natural cycle. I just enjoy seeing the spiders when they're around.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
I think it's best to leave her where she is. These big orb-weavers build big webs so she already is in a place where she can do her best. They are very much outdoor spiders. :)

Maybe you already have some small cobweb spiders indoors that you can take care of? They don't mind building webs in enclosures if you want that. As long as they get the food and water they need.