Maybe I should get a tarantula.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I help my hubby with his T's, so I'm not totally inexperienced, but I wouldn't say I have a lot of experience. I don't mind a slow grower. I'd like something pretty mellow. I was thinking Brachypelma albopilosum. Thoughts?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I have one thing to say. GBB.. Chromatopelma cyanopubescens.... my work here is done. ;)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Grammostola pulchripes
Nhandu chromatus
Aphonopelma Seemani
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Brachypelma albopilosum/smithi/vagans/Brachy just rock all around :p

All nice and pretty too :)

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Grammostola pulchripes
Nhandu chromatus
Aphonopelma Seemani
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Brachypelma albopilosum/smithi/vagans/Brachy just rock all around :p

All nice and pretty too :)
My husbands two are Grammostola pulchripes and Brachypelma vagans.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Would you be looking to get a sling, juvie, or adult? What is your price range?

Euathlus sp red is a great one as well (providing you aren't looking for a T that ends up huge). Very easy going, but not boring...very curious and inquisitive.

I love my GBB but I wouldn't recommend one as a first T to someone who is looking for a slow, docile T. GBBs are very quick and pretty skittish.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I would buy a female Acanthoscurria geniculata, those itchy eight legged are lovely and hungry like Slimer :-s

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I'm not looking to spend a whole lot. 30 or less would be perfect. I'd love to start with a sling. Found an inexpensive Brachypelma albopilosum. One of the reasons I was thinking of getting that species.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I'd go with a geniculata,
C cyaneopubescans
L parahybana
Any brachypelma or grammostola at all
Or mix it up with an arboreal.
Avicularia
Psalmopous
Or tapinochineous

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I'd go with a geniculata,
C cyaneopubescans
L parahybana
Any brachypelma or grammostola at all
Or mix it up with an arboreal.
Avicularia
Psalmopous
Or tapinochineous
Not much in there is "mellow" besides Brachy and Grammos

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Aphonopelma species are good for beginners, and most are fairly inexpensive.

louise f

Arachnoangel
A Brachypelma albopilosum is a great species. If your hubby didn`t already had G.pulchripes i would have said that too;)

Another good one is the Euathlus sp red :) Good luck with finding one. :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Since the two of you live together, I'm assuming, it would be fun to get someone that he doesn't already have.
I love my B. albopilosum - they never disappoint.
_DSC4362-2.jpg

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Would you be looking to get a sling, juvie, or adult? What is your price range?

Euathlus sp red is a great one as well (providing you aren't looking for a T that ends up huge). Very easy going, but not boring...very curious and inquisitive.

I love my GBB but I wouldn't recommend one as a first T to someone who is looking for a slow, docile T. GBBs are very quick and pretty skittish.
That's true, but the OP isn't exactly new at Tarantulas, she's been helping her husband with his collection and so isn't coming into it completely new....

mistertim

Arachnobaron
That's true, but the OP isn't exactly new at Tarantulas, she's been helping her husband with his collection and so isn't coming into it completely new....
Right, but she specifically stated in her first post that she wanted something "pretty mellow". That's what I was going on.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter

Can't go wrong with the albo, careful though their hairs seem to be worse than other brachys.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I'd like something I can hold if I feel like it, but nothing that will suddenly zip off. I've yet to hold my husband's T's. Honestly, the vagans is a little intimidating to me, though I'm fairly comfortable with doing maintenance for her. She's just so energetic! Perhaps she wasn't comfortable in her home though. I don't think it had enough ventilation. Moved her today. Was gonna wait for the Mr. to get home from work, but she was in the jar I put for her to climb into, so I just did it myself. I love his pulchripes though. She is so lazy. I'm rambling aren't I? Oh well! You already read it!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, I'd like something I can hold if I feel like it, but nothing that will suddenly zip off. I've yet to hold my husband's T's. Honestly, the vagans is a little intimidating to me, though I'm fairly comfortable with doing maintenance for her. She's just so energetic! Perhaps she wasn't comfortable in her home though. I don't think it had enough ventilation. Moved her today. Was gonna wait for the Mr. to get home from work, but she was in the jar I put for her to climb into, so I just did it myself. I love his pulchripes though. She is so lazy. I'm rambling aren't I? Oh well! You already read it!
Pulchripes, in my and most others opinions, the perfect beginner t. A beginner t should be: sturdy, easy to care for, forgiving if mistakes, colorful or otherwise aesthetically attractive, interesting in either attitude or activity, and have a good feeding response.
Pulchripes fill all the categories and are one of the most beautiful of their genus IMO.