may get a goliath pink toe / T-APOPHYSIS

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i may get a T - APOPHYSIS at 5cm in size any advice you good people got for me as i never had one of these ? ---phil

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi i may get a T - APOPHYSIS at 5cm in size any advice you good people got for me as i never had one of these ? ---phil
I have one almost fullgrown female and 2 slings of that gender. I like them alot, but it is definately not a T you want to handle. My big female is pretty unpredictable when i do cleaning and such in the terrarium, sometimes she just ignores me and other times she just attacks without warning:?

But they are very good eaters and will easyly take a full grown mouse, but i have only done that once because of couriosity;) But i say go for it, they are impressive size, and i cant wait to see my female to adulthood;)

Just be careful about the hairs, 2 weeks ago i got a full pot of hairs on my hands and ended up in hospital to get them fixed. I allways use gloves when entering the terrarium(just got careless that day i got hit) and a looong forceps;)

At just 5 cm your Apophysis must be a sling of course, but they grow fast, a week after a molt you will really see a BIG difference in size, incredible. I keep mine on potting soil and keep them moist, around 80% humidity, and i feed them a little more than i would do with any other species, except Blondi off course. But they have both molted 2 times with succes now;-)

Last edited:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks that helped me a lot and i would look out for the hairs :eek: and i always use gloves with all my ( ts ) ;) :) ---- phil

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks that helped me a lot and i would look out for the hairs :eek: and i always use gloves with all my ( ts ) ;) :) ---- phil
Yes PLEASE use gloves just in case she/he gives you som hairs from hell:8o But of course i had to do my big blunder with my big Apophysis, and i tell you, the hairs are no fun at all, but the slings hairs is also pretty bad.

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:eek: oh yeah, those hairs! i'm careful w/my juvie female and yeah very aggressive at that,but an awesome addition:clap: i keep mine very moist/humid. impressive t.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hospital!!

Just be careful about the hairs, 2 weeks ago i got a full pot of hairs on my hands and ended up in hospital to get them fixed.
HOSPITAL!?!?!? for urticate hairs. :eek: WOW it must have been bad!! What happened to your hands and what did they do for it at the hospital??

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
HOSPITAL!?!?!? for urticate hairs. :eek: WOW it must have been bad!! What happened to your hands and what did they do for it at the hospital??
My hand felt like 200degrees warm and i was really itching very badly, i kpt rubbing my hands together and they got even warmer;(

They gave me some allergi pills wich can help it, and some local sedative drug. And lastly they gave me a injection directly in my veins a drug against a really strong allergic reaction. It helped;)

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool then, when I am back home from a snowstorm I'll know how to warm my hands!!!

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My hand felt like 200degrees warm and i was really itching very badly, i kpt rubbing my hands together and they got even warmer;(

They gave me some allergi pills wich can help it, and some local sedative drug. And lastly they gave me a injection directly in my veins a drug against a really strong allergic reaction. It helped;)
Just curious - what did they say or how did they act when you told them what caused the problem?? :}

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just curious - what did they say or how did they act when you told them what caused the problem?? :}
They were quite surprised, but the nurse was also very curious to know about the animals and why i have them. And not surprisingly she told me to remember gloves EVERY time i open the terrarium.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
darn, i didnt know they effected people that bad! I seldom if ever get an itch at all

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it effects me also,but mainly my leblondi,apophysis are both the worst for me,my others aren't as bad.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
T apophysis = Goliath Pink Toe? Isn't that Avicularia braunshauseni??? If it is a Theraphosa, I cannot handle the hairs either. My daughter won 2 T blondis and I gave them away. Darn things make my throat swell!

jarrell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was watching Animal Planet The Real Lost World. And one of the reseachers just outright picks up a big T. apophsis from its tunnel and let it climb on to his shoulder. The T was actually kinda of calm, But that dude was nuts.

KingBowser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gesticulator,
The name "Goliath Pink Toe" applies to two species, one being an Avicularia sp, the other being Theraphosa apophysis(in this case here).