Max temp

RachelNoel

Arachnopeon
I hope this isn't a dumb question.

I've been thinking about getting a giant African milipede eventually.
But my room just so happens to be an attic, and since i live in Florida it can get pretty hot up there.
Like around the mid nineties, sometimes hotter.

Would this be too hot for it?
I know I could always keep it's cage downstairs, but I don't trust a few of the people I live with. {Toddlers etc} if it's too hot i won't get one of course.

Last edited:

Calopteryx

Arachnopeon
Above 90° is really pushing it, I think over longer periods it's too hot. Maybe you could try cooling the substrate from under the tank so the millipedes can burrow into the substrate and retreat from the heat. Though I'm not sure how one would go about doing that. Perhaps some sort of water cooling system. :D

RachelNoel

Arachnopeon
I see, that's a shame.
I guess an ice pack might work, but it would be to hard to control the temp and it might get too cold.

I'll just wait till we move. {However long that will take lol}

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
You could get a fan and aim it at the enclosure to help cool it down.
Some kind of laptop cooler might work as well, you could put it under the enclosure and they could go down to cool off.

There are options you could use to help cool off the enclosure to still get some.
But you would probably want to make sure you have a good working thermometer so you can monitor the temperatures in the enclosure.

RachelNoel

Arachnopeon
Fans really don't do much up here.
Plus I don't really have enough working outlets.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Ah yeah.
I live in Florida but I've never been in an attic area so I wasn't sure if fans would help too much or not.

If you really wanted to get them, you could try to elevate the enclosure a bit somehow, freeze some water bottles and line them under the cage so it cools it.
You'd just have to rotate bottles out a lot.
But that's only if you REALLY want them and want to put the effort in.

RachelNoel

Arachnopeon
I do want them.
But if that's what it takes I'll have to find I safe spot down stairs to store them.
Which is a challenge on its own, you can imagine why I chose the attic as my room despite it being Florida lol.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Oh yeah.
Well good luck whatever it is you do decide in the end!

And if you need further advice we're always here lol