mature molt?

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i know that age makes some difference upon the rate of maturity. now...if a sling is powerfed, do they reach maturity at an earlier age/date?

is the mature molt more dependant upon size than age?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
deffinatly if you power feed a sling it will grow and mature faster. I've also heard that they will be bigger at maturity?

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
This is a huge area of interest for me! I've read that there's a predetermined number of molts before the ultimate molt. Heat level and feeding increase metabolism and growth. So you CAN influence the rate at which your T reaches maturity. Feed conservatively and you'll slow the road to maturity; feed generously and you speed up the clock. I want faster growth, so I keep my slings in the 80f range and feed them generously, not necessarily "powerfeed" (about 4 to 5 cric's/week) - I don't allow their abdomens to bloat to the point of danger, however. In other words, I don't want to see my slings (or any of my spiders) dragging a fat ass around. My slings (B. smithi's) have increased their size 6-fold in less than 3 months!

I keep logs on them and know when a molt is pending. I'll powerfeed (feed as much as they'll take) before they enter pre-molt off-feed so they're fully charged for growth and energy to get maximum results from a molt. Again, I don't allow a super-fat abdomen to avoid any related problems.

Keep a log and you can track growth and other conditions you feel like keeping tabs on. I use Excel and log Molts, Feeding, Cage conditions, Growth, etc. I'll share my findings when my smithi's hit maturity - you'll see a post on this forum in the future.

Get all the books you can get your hands on. The ATS has some good manuals that you can buy, written by their staff.

Dario

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey skadi --

Check you PM's!!

Click the button that says USER CP and then find the link to CHECK PRIVATE MESSAGES or CHECK PMs or INBOX...

i PMd you:)

peace
dave

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
awesome guys, thanks a lot!

say, i know it's obvious when a male has reached his mature molt.

however, how can you tell if you have a mature female?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the best way is to take a mature male and put some silk from the females tank into the males. if he starts drumming then you got a mature female.