Mature Molt: how do you know?

hookpits

Arachnopeon
I'm new to the hobby and I have a question. How do you know when a tarantula molts into a mature adult? I see a lot of videos and pictures and disscussion about people's t's having their mature molt. How do you know this? Does it depend on species? All of mine are still babies and it would be nice to know when they are mature.
THanks for your help,
Jared

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They will develop hooks under their first set of legs; and their pedipalps (appendages next to the fangs) will become swollen and look like it's wearing boxing gloves. Just run a search for mature male or ultimate male.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now what about the females? Is it just size with them?

jimip

Arachnosquire
ive actually been wondering this 2 say you have a female sling. how do you know shes ready? tibial hooks tell you when he is, but what about her?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ the general rule about when a female is "mature" is when she is 70 to 75% of her adult size.

So say you have a B. smithi female that is 4 to 4.5 inches DLS. That would be around 75% of her 5 to 6 inch adult size.

Its really a judgment thing on the owners parts. I breed my female H. incei at about 50% her adult size. the male dwarfed her.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
In addition to the size thing, I've read that sclerotised spermatheca on a molt to be a more certain indicator of whether a female is mature or not.

jimip

Arachnosquire
In addition to the size thing, I've read that sclerotised spermatheca on a molt to be a more certain indicator of whether a female is mature or not.
like how? do they get bigger? or chang somehow?