Mature Male?

CakeLore

Arachnosquire
I just had my previously unsexed GBB shipped to me from home after moving. He molted about 2 months ago and I believe that he's a MM? It looks like he has the spurs and boxing gloves. https://imgur.com/a/dGfKM

He is still pretty young. Is this normal? I have a rough estimate of his age being 3 to 4 years. He still has the orange with black stripes juvenile colors and I didn't know it could happen before they were "adults".

Edit: edited for charity

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Sadly, that looks like a MM male to me as well. If he molted during transit, I'd wait with feeding until his fangs are black. You could post him up for a breeding loan or trade in the classifieds/invertsonals here.
At close up, those tigerstripes will always be visible from what I've gathered.
Is he healthy? Meaning no damage from transit while molting?

CakeLore

Arachnosquire
Sadly, that looks like a MM male to me as well. If he molted during transit, I'd wait with feeding until his fangs are black. You could post him up for a breeding loan or trade in the classifieds/invertsonals here.
At close up, those tigerstripes will always be visible from what I've gathered.
Is he healthy? Meaning no damage from transit while molting?
He didn't molt during transit. He molted about 2 months ago but he was in my parent's care, and they don't know a lot about their life cycle. I'll probably put him up in the classified section in that case so he can do his duty. :) He seems to be doing pretty well, except for being a bit skinny.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
He didn't molt during transit. He molted about 2 months ago but he was in my parent's care, and they don't know a lot about their life cycle. I'll probably put him up in the classified section in that case so he can do his duty. :) He seems to be doing pretty well, except for being a bit skinny.
Ah, i misread/misunderstood your post. I thought you bought an unsexed GBB, and that it molted during shipping.
Skinny is normal for MM. My MM P.cambridgei has an abdomen the size of a pea, smaller than his carapace even. He looks like a daddy longlegs :D

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I'm near you (geographically), and I think I know someone who needs a MM GBB. Let me check with him. I'll PM you if that's the case then you won't have to ship him.

CakeLore

Arachnosquire
I'm near you (geographically), and I think I know someone who needs a MM GBB. Let me check with him. I'll PM you if that's the case then you won't have to ship him.
Oh yes please let me know! I'd be happy to know he could have a mate and do what he's meant to at this point.
yes thats a MM. Unfortunately the males of this sp. dont last long :(
Darn that's too bad. I bought him unsexed 2 years ago but he was always kind of leggy and I had my suspicions. Never could tell since he would crush up the molts inside his burrow.

cold blood

Staff member
He is still pretty young. Is this normal? He still has the orange with black stripes juvenile colors and I didn't know it could happen before they were "adults".
He has full adult colors.

Darn that's too bad. I bought him unsexed 2 years ago but he was always kind of leggy and I had my suspicions. Never could tell since he would crush up the molts inside his burrow.
Its not a bad thing, cycle of life....now you can a) sell him, and use that or some of that to buy a new t b) trade him for several new slings, or c) take a chance on a breeding loan, although they're notoriously difficult to breed, but they payout could be significant.

As for his "look", until a male matures, its not distinguishable from a female by just looking at it, unless you are looking ventrally. My female is leggy.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Oh yes please let me know! I'd be happy to know he could have a mate and do what he's meant to at this point.
No luck, they already have a male. I'd take him but my female isn't big enough to mate yet. Offer him up on a breeding loan though, surely someone will want him. Or you could sell him outright.

CakeLore

Arachnosquire
No luck, they already have a male. I'd take him but my female isn't big enough to mate yet. Offer him up on a breeding loan though, surely someone will want him. Or you could sell him outright.
Alright thanks I'll put him up! I'd prefer a trade for a female of the same or different species honestly since I'm not equipped for or presently interested in breeding. Not sure how realistic that is though. Do you have any idea how much a MM GBB should sell for?

Bugmom

Arachnolord
You could definitely trade him for something else that you want. I've recently seen MM GBBs selling for $50-$65.